• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suitable for Dario tigris or something else?

Myrtle

Hi, I have a 45x30cm shallow tank which now houses a single lonely sparkling gourami. I debated buying more but I can't bear to watch them waste away, not sure if it was the stock that was poor or what, but despite appearing to eat well, they just failed to thrive.
Anyway, I'm now considering my options with the tank, and I'd quite like to go temperate. It's set up for the gourami, and I think it would also suit the Dario if I remove the heater. The only issue is, I don't know how they get on with it being open on 3 sides? Will the movement on 3 sides make them worried or do they prefer a more secluded area?
If the tank isn't suitable, does anyone have any recommendations for fish that would thrive in this tank, and preferably those that will breed? I can keep it heated if necessary, but with 7 heaters running, losing one would be good!
The tank has grown in a little more since the photo.

20230117_174501.jpg

It may not be what you want, but I have a few sparkling gourami fry if you want to try again. They'll need 3 months to grow in, if they survive. They can be sensitive.

It may not be what you want, but I have a few sparkling gourami fry if you want to try again. They'll need 3 months to grow in, if they survive. They can be sensitive.
Thanks, I'm not sure how they'd do with posting as I'm a bit far to collect! I'd love to try them again, particularly if they were home bred, but I'm still not certain what went wrong this time other than one who appears to have been the victim of aggression. That makes me wary of having the same thing happen.

Well, I ended up trying the SG again. My local MA had some really good sized, healthy ones in stock so my lone girl now has a boy the same size and several other smaller girls (at least they are hopefully girls). These are eating way better than the previous bunch already so fingers crossed for happy, longer lived, fish.

These are doing a lot of hunting already. The previous group would only eat live daphnia and bug bites (after some time) but these have already taken frozen (which they others ignored) as well as the bug bites. My daphnia population is a bit small now so it'll be a while until they get the chance for some live food. I meant to pick some up yesterday and forgot.

I don't know much about sparkling gouramis but this is a really nice and natural looking tank. Looks like a perfect slice taken out of a slow flowing river margin and I've always found it easier to make a tank look nice than it is to make a tank look natural and nice.

I don't know much about sparkling gouramis but this is a really nice and natural looking tank. Looks like a perfect slice taken out of a slow flowing river margin and I've always found it easier to make a tank look nice than it is to make a tank look natural and nice.

@Myrtle, Really love this shallow tank - looks great!

Cheers,
Michael
Thank you both :) validation from ones peers never fails to please!

Back