• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Super CO2 Diffuser Issue

mark4785

For two months, up until today, I have been using a very good product named the 'Super CO2 Diffuser' (found here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320922762257? ... 763wt_1141). I say up until today because up on checking the aquarium today, the diffuser wasn't producing a fine mist of co2 bubbles, but was pushing out significantly larger bubbles from one end. At the same time, the bubble counter was indicating that 4 bubbles per second were entering the aquarium!

I quickly turned the co2 supply off using the pressure reducer on top of the co2 cylinder and replaced the diffuser. I noticed the diffuser that wasn't working was making a clicking sound at the point where the horizontal and vertical points meet, implying something inside may have broke.

So, given the above, I'd naturally like to know if any other people have had experienced any issues with this particular product or whether this is just a one-off incident. I have purchased another 'Super c02 diffuser', thats another £11 spent 2 months after purchasing the first one which doesn't appear to have a warranty, not knowing if the latter one's going to become faulty.

Note: My pressure reducer was indicating that there were 75 bars of pressure when the bubble counter was indicating that excess gas was entering the tank. It usually indicates 55 bars of pressure, but this clearly had changed without any adjustments. Can broken/faulty diffusers cause dangerous pressure changes?

Mark.

I have used a few of these and found that they only seem to last so long before throwing out bigger bubbles so I switched to the inline atomisers which are much better. I've also had one actually pop off into pieces, but I can't think with yours what may be clicking inside it as its just a hollow cylinder inside with nothing in. 

As for the pressure of the bottle rising, a faulty co2 diffuser shouldn't affect that at all.

Alastair said:
I have used a few of these and found that they only seem to last so long before throwing out bigger bubbles so I switched to the inline atomisers which are much better. I've also had one actually pop off into pieces, but I can't think with yours what may be clicking inside it as its just a hollow cylinder inside with nothing in. 

As for the pressure of the bottle rising, a faulty co2 diffuser shouldn't affect that at all.

Ok, looks like I better get a stock pile of them then for the next time it happens. I've tried an inline atomiser with my other aquarium that has a external filter, however, leakage would always occur at the connection points so myself and others agreed that it would be wise to discontinue usage rather than have an inevitable electrical fire.

With regards to the noise, do you think the cylinder you mention could have broke?

The pressure reducer has never indicated pressure changes in the entire 2 years that I've been using it, except for today at the exact same time that the diffuser decided to stop working. There's no cause and effect between these two happenings I guess but the only thing that has become inconsistent on my co2 system is the diffuser that has broke.

I couldn't see what inside the cylinder could have broke though that's the thing. There's is literally nothing inside it. I had a couple from hong kong that didn't last long at all and opted for ones from tankscape which had a better seal etc.

It is strange that your bottle pressure has increased but that shouldn't have been affected by the diffuser. My cylinder pressure only ever went up when the room it was in was very warm a s it jumped from 55 to 70.

I have only had bad experience with this type of diffuser, I had to turn up the pressure so high to get a fine mist that it blew up my bubble counter!
I made a post on this forum telling folk about the anatomiser & it seemed at the time I was the only person having trouble however in now seems they dont last very long before the performance drops right off.

Thankfully, the seller has refunded me for the problematic diffuser. Despite there being a real issue with this product I wouldn't want to discontinue usage as I don't know how to go about finding an equivalent product that produces a fine mist of co2.

Maybe regular dips in Hydrogen peroxide will help keep it clean

Back