• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Super Simple Someday Shrimp Setup 2 - Leftovers

Phil Edwards

SSSSS2 originally started as a holding tank for plants I got from the nursery to use in tanks at work but ended up having no room for. After a rescape of the 80 gallon all the moss I had to remove got tossed in there to live or die. One day while preparing some of the moss to grow in trays I got the bright idea to take a rock I had in a bucket and see if the leftover moss would grow on it. Not wanting to spend a load of time doing the whole tying down with thread thing or annoying my wife off by stinking up the place using the yogurt method I just threw some of the moss in a small blender, coated the rock and tossed it in.

Once it was clear the moss was growing I grabbed a few more rocks, got them soaking wet, pressed some wet moss to the rock so it would stick, and tossed them in the tank in some semblance of order. More rocks were mossed and added over time when I wanted something aquatic to tool around with. There's no rhyme or reason to it except to make sure the rocks fit somehow. Eventually I got the bright idea to do a scape that was primarily mossed rocks in a semi-cobblestone arrangement with Crypts growing in the spaces between. Substrate will be added at some point in the far future when time, space, and money permits a full submergent setup for shrimp. At that point I'll decide if I want to use both species of Crypt or take one out. Adding some hairgrass might be fun to give it an old abandoned stone path feeling. Until then it's just rock, potted Crypts, and water. Once the moss looks like it'll survive with a lower water level I'll moss up some smaller rocks for the front and call it good.

It turns out this is a great, and very lazy, way to use a little bit of moss to cover a lot of rock for use in larger aquascapes. I may try doing this on the deck when it warms up a bit more.

My Mossing Method:
  1. Throw any thread, mesh, or glue in the trash or misc. aquarium crap bucket.
  2. Get the rock nice and wet.
  3. Grab a hunk of moss, tear off a small portion, spread it into a super thin mat, then press it gently to the rock where you want coverage.
  4. Put rock in tank.
  5. Spray the tank liberally with tap or tank water and (re)cover.
  6. Ignore

Specs-
  • 10ish gallon sample tank from work
  • 2x 6 watt 8000K LED fixtures on between 8-10 hours a day when I remember to turn them on and off.
  • No filter, substrate, CO2, or fert mixes
  • C. wendtii 'Tropica/Bronze', C. undulata, and Java Moss

Maintenance is irregular and as simple as it gets; the moss in front gets pulled out and rinsed and the water gets shop-vacced out when I think about it. Sometimes it's every week sometimes it's not. In between water changes everything gets a good spray with tank water when I remember.

3.3.17-

001_9.jpg

Original rock, approx 1 month of growth
002_10.jpg

Second round of rocks, approx 2 weeks of growth
003_10.jpg

Third round of rocks, less than a week of growth
004_8.jpg

Whole shebang
005_13.jpg

Thanks for watching,
Phil

Go right ahead mate, we're here to help each other. If you do, please make sure to post a link here so we can do some growth comparisons etc.

Regards,
Phil

3.16.17 photo dump-

I'm heading out for a work trip until the 26th and am leaving all the tanks in the care of my wife. I figured it would be a wise thing to get some before-trip and after-trip pictures. I trust her ability to follow directions and am not worried about some disaster from lack of care, but I do want to record what happens when I'm gone for that length of time.

Full tank
001_11.jpg

002_12.jpg

First mossed rock after a month
007_13.jpg

Three weeks of growth
008_9.jpg

After cleaning, some re-arranging, and adding new smaller mossed rocks almost a week ago. I'll be keeping the water level lower to accomodate the smaller rocks and keep the wabi kusa from getting too wet.The big rocks on the right were mossed about two weeks ago now.
017_6.jpg

018_6.jpg

019_5.jpg

020_4.jpg

Taken this morning
022_4.jpg

054_1.jpg

055_1.jpg

056_1.jpg

That's it folks. I'll have my laptop with me during the trip so you'd better not have a big party and trash the place.

Cheers,
Phil

Back