• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Supple 16mm filter pipe?

Rob P

After almost committing hari kari when fitting up a new filter at the weekend I wondered if there was such a thing as more supple than usual 16mm internal diameter pipe?

The standard stuff is 16/22, I've seen some on ebay that is 16/19 so in theory should be more supple.

Anyone used this size pipe and does it help??

What filter have you got Rob? I could get along with the 16/22 pipe so I got some reducing connectors near the filter and replaced a good length of it with 12/16.

Where you attach the hose to the filter or hydor heater doesn't it have a 'screw down' bit to grip the pipe in place (sorry if I haven't worded it right). I doubt it would grip a pipe with a thinner wall so there's a possibility of it popping off?

It's a Tetratec ex1200 James. Yes the Hydor and current intake/outlet fittings have the screw down bit (don't worry knew what you meant :D) but they are f'in tight lol. I'm more worried they aren't screwed down enough as it is! (no accidents since fitting Saturday AM :shh:...).

Really wouldn't want to reduce to 12/16 as flow and co2 distribution seem cock on since doing the switch over ;)

thin walled tubing cinks like a mofo too!

Tried it then? :D lol

So how the hell are you supposed to get a Tetratec 1200, Hydor and inline atty on the same length of pipe and look neat?

tetratec_zpsfd24fbdb.jpg

At the moment I have the heater horizontal, the pipe then goes behind a hi fi speaker, bothers the TV with the atty somewhere behind that and then back round and up into the tank :confused: lol Was hoping to keep it all neat and tidy inside the cabinet!

Is it possible to use rigid fittings to help, like 16mm barbed elbows for example, or are these too flow restrictive?

That's a tidy cabinet in my eyes mines like a jack in the box when I open a door.:D

I been thinking about some lengths of spring/ springs to cure this annoying kinked hose and hydor problem. You know the on the wall hose lock hose reels? When I assembled ours when you connect the hose on the inside you insert a spring to stop it kinking. Inside may not be an option due to flow restriction and having to be 316 grade stainless but outside our hoses would work I'm sure?:-B

That's a tidy cabinet in my eyes mines like a jack in the box when I open a door.:D

It is tidy Kirk, unfortunately most of my hardware and tubing is round the back of the tele lol

I'm seriously thinking of getting yet another filter for the new set up. The Boyu DGN series filters have built in 150w heating and 1600lph flow adjustable in 8 steps via push of a button. Then you only have to worry about the co2 atty inline...

I have had this issue before and the only way I got around it was on the outlet pipe as it leaves the filter, almost make an 'S' shape with the hose (without causing kinks) and have your heater off that - this will lower the filter in the cabinet. The only down side is that the outlet hose will be longer, but if your filter is fairly powerful, then it should not alter anything. at least then the heater is in the upright position and hose fittings onto it are safe and not bent. :thumbup:

Nice one Gary, and yes I get what you are saying. In current set up I need to remove the dividing piece of wood (it's not load bearing) and that will allow a bit more scope for movement. Filter should be plenty pokey enough for some extra pipe ;) I may even swap it round so the co2 diffuser is straight after the filter outlet and the heater can then go up vertically behind the tank (has black background on).

Is it important to have the heater upright?? :eek:

Edit - Ah! Gary, it was your cabinet pictures (Eruption) that I was looking high and low for the other day, very nicely done sir - that's my aspiration (perhaps minus the cabinet lighting :D)

No problem mate, when I was short on space I just had my heater and pipe work sitting behind the FE... saves doing extra work then too.

I don't really think the position of the heater is to critical, although the arrow on the unit is more for safety and to warn of water maybe dripping down the electrical cable and into the unit :inpain:

Goodo, just read through Eruption again and see you plumped for an Eheim with built in heater to replace the G5? I think the Boyu DGN could be fine for me, £130 with built in heater (and UV although can't see a use for it) and even more cojones controllable at the press of a button :)

Back