• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

surface film

Maloney

hi,
I have a 34ltr planted with Anubias and Ferns , just recently i it has developed a sort of film of "stuff" on the surface, dunno what it is ,its greyish in colour , the water is clear, plants seem ok and are growing and fish seem happy too.
but its annoying as the tank is open , i skimmed it off but the next day it returned
Any ideas?
tank21032011008.jpg

Any ideas?
Tony

Hi Maloney it sounds as if your answering your own question. Can you not change the filter height or output flow direction just to try and clear the problem corner? I don't know if the tank has the filter bonded in but if not move the filter and direct the flow in to the corner and see if that helps, or post a pic have fun regards Colin.

Maloney said:
hi,
I have a 34ltr planted with Anubias and Ferns , just recently i it has developed a sort of film of "stuff" on the surface, dunno what it is ,its greyish in colour , the water is clear, plants seem ok and are growing and fish seem happy too.
but its annoying as the tank is open , i skimmed it off but the next day it returned
Any ideas?
tank21032011010.jpg
tank21032011009.jpg

tank21032011008.jpg

Any ideas?
Tony
It's worth having a thorough read of viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13603
Have a look at your flow distribution as well as nutrients/CO2.

Cheers,

looking closer at things, the flow has reduced considerably from my filter which is why i am noticing this film now :oops:
its a eheim 2213 with spraybar only been running about a month, surely not blocked?

Have you got filter wool in your filter? If so, a month is definitely quick enough for flow to slow considerably.
It's worth giving the filter a quick clean to be sure.

hi, thanks for the speedy reply, i cleaned the filter wool which was pretty gungy, and repositioned spraybar a little, took some of the sylvania natans out which wasnt doing very well anyway,and it seems ok this morning.

Back