• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Surface scum

DanMac

My tank is open top and lately I have been getting surface scum, If i break the surface my tank looks like its snowing, I am aware of surface skimmers but I have heard that they can be a pain and to be honest I dont really want one. Does anyone know why this is happening and more importantly how to prevent it?

I'm pretty sure my flow is good enough,My old internal filter was weaker and I never had surface scum like this.

My tank is open top and lately I have been getting surface scum, If i break the surface my tank looks like its snowing, I am aware of surface skimmers but I have heard that they can be a pain and to be honest I dont really want one. Does anyone know why this is happening and more importantly how to prevent it?

I'm pretty sure my flow is good enough,My old internal filter was weaker and I never had surface scum like this.

This is nearly always due from plants, basically when they don't have enough nutrients and co2 - open top tanks are really no different to closed ones - yes a skimmer will help... but the plants are telling you that they are not happy. How do your plants look in general?

Ok I might buy one of those,I cant stand the mess after breaking the surface it looks horrible.

The skimmer arrived today, I didnt have a lot of surface scum as i did my water change yesterday but it got rid of what was there in minutes.

I dont want to keep it in my tank so i might just try putting it in every morning for 10 mins and see if thats enough. if not ill leave it on overnight Thanks for the suggestion Ian it seems pretty great so far :thumbup:

Back