• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T5 stater for 6x2x2

niknaksky

Hi all,

I need to buy some new lights for my tank.
Its going to be lowish light with pressurised co2 added at some point in the near future.

The only t5 starters I can find are 2 x 54w so would have to overlap them.

Does anyone know of any 80w twin starters ? or should I just go with over lapping the 2x 54w.

Lastly this should be enought for low light minimal co2 ?

Probably a silly question but I have a reasonable gap between the cover glasses and the top of the hood with large holes int he hood for ventilation.
Would it be possible to lie a luminaire on the cover glasses or do you think it may get too hot ?

Do they do them in twins ? or singles only ?
Reason I ask is that if i need to increase the light at a later date I dont want loads of starters.

Hi all,
The only t5 starters I can find are 2 x 54w so would have to overlap them.
I'd go with these, they are very wide use for commercial T5 lighting, so are cheap to buy as replacements etc. I think BLT does them for about £35, other people sell Tridonic ones for £20 and "geoffro1955" on Ebay will sell them even cheaper and connect them up for you as a ready to go unit.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
cool does the ballast need to be enclosed ?
Not to run, but it would be best if it was in a ventilated box, to give it some splash protection (the Hagen ones etc are IP44 for the ballast and IP67 for the end caps). If you have a look for "T5 LIGHTING KIT MARINE TROPICAL 2 x 54w HOT5 CORAL FISH" on ebay the seller will add in IP67 end caps for another £13.

cheers Darrel

I like the idea of the ballast but adding them end caps make it more expensive than Hagen GLO T5 Twin Starter Unit at £36

Back