• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank Tales: A 100cm x 100cm x 50cm Aquatic Adventure

Luis M

Greetings fellow aquascaping enthusiasts!

My name is Luis, and like many others, I've had my fair share of experiences in the aquarium hobby, sometimes stepping in and out of it.
My journey began with receiving my first tank as a gift from my parents when I was around 12 years old.
Reflecting back, I shiver at the lack of knowledge and care I had for my first fish, back in the 80s when information on proper care was scarce, and practices like partial water changes were not commonplace. Despite this, I did manage to successfully breed Guppies, Mollies, and others, perhaps owing to my fondness for keeping plants in my tanks even then.

Over the years, I've had a multitude of tanks, too many to recall accurately, ranging from nano freshwater setups to a few ventures into large reef tanks, although the latter never quite captured my interest as much as freshwater.

Recently, I've had the privilege of moving to a new house, where I've been able to design a dedicated fish room in the basement, allowing me to fully immerse myself back into the hobby. It's an exciting prospect, and one I'm eagerly looking forward to.

The purpose of this thread is twofold:
1-to introduce myself to my fellow aquascapers and to begin documenting my journey through the creation of individual tank journals once I have the necessary privileges. The inaugural tank in this new fish room, measuring 100cm x 100cm x 50cm, is a collaborative effort between my father and me.
2-Moreover, I'm also hopeful that this project will afford me more quality time with my father, who, now retired, remains my closest friend.

I commit to sharing a high-quality post, featuring good photos, every week

So, without further ado, let's dive in! Here's a glimpse of the empty fish room (it's 6m x 3m) , after the installation of a sink.
You can see tape markings on the floor (for scale) , where the 100cm x 100cm tank will be... and the metal structures for some smaller tanks to be added later. Each stand is 120cm long by 50cm front to back:
20240302_165118.jpg
And here is the tank after arrival (stand needs a new coat of pain):
20240313_151336.jpg

I will post more about this first build later this week.

Regards
Luis

I forgot to add (As I don't yet have permission to edit posts) that the stand measures 100cm x 100cm x 80cm high , and the sump 80cm x 40cm x 45cm high made of 8mm glass.

The tank has Euro Braces and is made of 10mm glass. I could've went with transparent silicone for this tank but I am going with a dark theme for the fishroom and since the stand and the dry column inside the tank is also black I think it will be fine in the end.

Wow thats cool! Rather interesting dimensions too....... do you think you will be doing some emersed growth sections or hardscaping coming out of the tank for more immersive effect?

Wow thats cool! Rather interesting dimensions too....... do you think you will be doing some emersed growth sections or hardscaping coming out of the tank for more immersive effect?
Thanks. We thought these dimensions would allow for interesting aquascapes, good sense of depth and view from 3 sides which is cool. But definitely going to be challenging to hardscape..but excited about it.

I'm definitely going for an emersed area at the back on one of the corners

Exact same dimensions as a reef tank l once had, as you say, you’ll get a perfect sense of depth….
Looking foward to seeing this progress. Lighting wise l’d use a couple of Twinstar 900EA’s or SA’s on it, reasonable purchase price, great colour rendition, piece of cake to operate.

View attachment 217547
Many thanks.. looks great with water...
Regarding the lights..yes one possibility is two or three Twinstar 900EA IV ... I love the color rendition on those

Welcome! Liking the look of this- such great potential. Looking forward to following this thread and seeing how it all progresses.

Enough space in the front from some elderly stone or similar.
Miniature islands of Buce, anubias petite and some carpeting 🪴
Indeed.. that is a great idea !
I am away this week on a business trip but next week I will start with the plumbing and the hardscape

Plumbing completed... it took me a bit longer as it's been a while since I had a sump.
But all looks fine..did a leak test and all is ok just had a small drip but after tightening the nuts all is fine now.

20240416_163246.jpg
20240416_163221.jpg

Now onto the light brackets... had to weld this structure that attaches to the aquarium frame and will allow me to suspend the lights above the tank

20240415_131939.jpg
20240415_130715.jpg
detail of the locking mechanism... just a 10mm nut welded to the frame which will secure it in place at the back of the tank

Hi everyone,
Finally managed to complete the hardscape... it's still not 100% to my liking but I think it's ok for a start.. need to add more details, and I'm not entirely happy with some of the areas in the background... but boy , is this thing hard to scape 100cm x100cm is really tough.

It took:
2 bags of JBL Mineral as the very bottom layer
2 bags of Tropica Aquarium soil
2 bags of Tropica Aquarium soil poweder

plus 15kg of Hornwood and around 20Kg of Black Lava rock.

20240418_184957.jpg

Now 3 weeks of Dark Start , then I will do a 100% water change and plan heavily

Hi everyone,
Finally managed to complete the hardscape... it's still not 100% to my liking but I think it's ok for a start.. need to add more details, and I'm not entirely happy with some of the areas in the background... but boy , is this thing hard to scape 100cm x100cm is really tough.

It took:
2 bags of JBL Mineral as the very bottom layer
2 bags of Tropica Aquarium soil
2 bags of Tropica Aquarium soil poweder

plus 15kg of Hornwood and around 20Kg of Black Lava rock.

View attachment 218456

Now 3 weeks of Dark Start , then I will do a 100% water change and plan heavily
I love the hardscape! A lot to potential for a fantastic arrangement of the plants and moss.
Is the sand covering the Aquarium soil?

Back