• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tap water PPM?

GTL_UK

Hi. Just bought ppm meter and I can believe what im seeing....
Fish tank 220ppm
Tap water 30ppm... Is that possible? I'm in north west

Leave the tap water to warm up.
Are you calibrated to near 300 ppm?

Some test pens are calibrated at 1331 ppm.
Which is pretty rubbish for use at our lower levels.

I believe it might be possible for the soft waters of the north and Wales. Although 30 is like RO water. Yeah you might want to calibrate your pen.

Entirely normal.

Generally Tank water TDS is higher because of all the biological processes in the tank that add to it. The tap TDS is low but not zero, you won't ever get zero out the tap because the pH will eat copper pipe, buffers are added to bring the pH above 7, this adds TDS, chlorine may be added and chloramine also to make the water safe to drink, this will also add TDS, mineral content (measured as GH and KH) are likely low but will constitute some part of the TDS.

My tap TDS is 30-40, municipal supply fed by reservoir caught rainwater coming of the hills.

The meter is brand new so should I calibrate it anyway?

More than likely its factory calibrated and there is no need.

You have a baseline already in that your tap TDS is 30 (you can compare this figure with your local water authority report to see if it's in the right ballpark) and tank at 220, so as expected it has measured a difference between the samples, the tap TDS is unlikely to ever be much lower than 30 so you know it's not giving you a wildly inaccurate higher value.

So what calibration liquid do i need ? with 0 ppm ?

Gah!

I couldn't find one that low !

Had to settle for 240 ppm

So with liquid from your link do I calibrate it to 0 or 90?

So with liquid from your link do I calibrate it to 0 or 90?

Get your tds calibration solution.
Pour enough into a cup to dip your pen in. Turn on pen . Leave pen in solution for 5 minutes and calibrate ( with a small screwdriver) the LCD display to read the correct value.
In your case 90 ppm.
Or whatever ppm your calibration solution is.

Back