• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tebera Rainbowfish

A

Antipofish

Anyone kept these at all ? Wondered how likely they are to colour up like the net pic of them ?

Melanotaeniaherbertaxelrodi3.jpg

mine started out that colour now as they're getting a little older they're more brown on the body than anything else unless bright light shines on them

hinch said:
mine started out that colour now as they're getting a little older they're more brown on the body than anything else unless bright light shines on them

Thanks Hinch, how old are they and what size have they reached mate ?

Unfortunately most LFS strain Lake Tebera rainbowfish will not end up quite like those fish in the picture. They have been poorly mass bred and many specimens are not true, probably inadvertently crossed with other species. Occasionally you can come across the real deal, but they are not common.

the 2 big ones are currently about 5-7 cm tip to tail i think. they did used to be pretty good colours but as they've got older they've lost alot of it I've had them about 3 years now I think i rehomed them from a friend when he was closing down his tank. they're nice active fish I think the 2 big ones are male and female too but in rainbows I have no idea how to sex them they keep doing this side by side dance thing but never seen any eggs or anything (could be the plecs or sharks eat them though)

Generally rainbowfish should improve in colour as they mature, but when they are old they can get a bit tatty around the edges. Still old fish would be in the 5+ year range and around 4" mark albeit females smaller. Diet is important and should be varied including a lot of green matter. Their staple should not really be too high in protein and many people choose to use goldfish oriented flakes/pellets over tropical.

Generally with rainbows (and most fish) the males will be larger and significantly more colourful. On top of that if you have a mixed group, one male will assume dominance and become the most intensley coloured fish of the lot. Another common way to sex is to observe the two dorsal fins. In adult males the first dorsal fin will often extend and overlap into the second dorsal fin. In females there is usually no overlapping.

Back