• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

temperature for plants

Rabb.D

helo, need some advice

i now maintain my tank temperature at 25 Celsius with the help of a chiller.... but now after doing more reading, i'm not too certain what is the optimum temperature for aquatic plants and mosses... currently in the tank i have christmass moss, and another 8 species of plants, of which the christmass moss i'm assuming needs cooler temp than the ambient temperature in the tropics where i live which is around 29 Celcius....my question is is temperatures up to 29 degrees celcius optimum to grow plants and mosses? this is more out of curiosity and also for some convenience... because i might have the option of using just a fan for 27-29 celcius

Hello,
You should not have any issues at these temperatures, however one should probably avoid using the word "optimum". Cooler temperature dissolve higher concentrations of CO2, so each degree of temperature rise yields less dissolved CO2. I've had no difficulty whatsoever growing a moss wall on the two ends of a 6 footer (and ferns as well) at 33C, but CO2 consumption was disproportionally high. The other plants showed no signs of stress. Algae also love higher temperatures, so this is something to consider.

Cheers,

thanks for the advice :D , its really interesting to know that plants do well at higher temperatures, felt like i've misled myself to buying a chiller... i guess the only way to convince myself is to try it out... feel like getting that nice fan i was eyeing and trying it out.. but still a little uncertain due to lack of experience... :D

On the other side of temperature, I experciened stunted growth in crypts e echinodorus when my temp dropped to 14C. Coincidence or not, also got BBA on the echinodoruses by the same time. It all resumed to "normal" conditions (good growth and no BBA) after including a heater and setting the temp to 22C.

All other plants, HC, HM, E. parvula and Stauro all did fine at the lower temps though. In fact, I have the 4 of them emersed outside in the yard at the momement and they are all good.

cheers,

GM

Back