• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tesco cat litter

cheers stan, thanks for the quick reply, thought i'd have to sit here all night waiting for a reply.
cheers again.

No problem, are you using anything else with it or just having it on its own?

im currently using eco-complete but the depth aint enough, and i cant be arsed to order another big bag, so im going to put cat litter over the top and just hope for the best.
alot of people said to put the cat litter underneath, but i prefer the look of the cat litter, i think it looks really natural so thats what im going to do.

hixy said:
Sorry to hijack the thread is the tesco stuff safe for fish.?

Its perfumed so you need to wash and wash and wash it, and then when it looks like you have washed it enough, do the same again !!! I did that and STILL it took a good few days for the tank to clear. Actually I had problems with my tank and the cat litter.. whether it was to do with the wood I also put in, or the JBL aquabasis+ I put in or a combination of all three, I do not know. I ended up ripping mine out but there are tons of people who have used it. I would think it is NOT safe for fish straight away though, but judging by other very good looking tanks on here it must be OK after its cleaned :thumbup: Good luck.

Antipofish said:
hixy said:
Sorry to hijack the thread is the tesco stuff safe for fish.?

Its perfumed so you need to wash and wash and wash it, and then when it looks like you have washed it enough, do the same again !!! I did that and STILL it took a good few days for the tank to clear. Actually I had problems with my tank and the cat litter.. whether it was to do with the wood I also put in, or the JBL aquabasis+ I put in or a combination of all three, I do not know. I ended up ripping mine out but there are tons of people who have used it. I would think it is NOT safe for fish straight away though, but judging by other very good looking tanks on here it must be OK after its cleaned :thumbup: Good luck.

I used it and washed very well and then allowed it to dry before using it in tank, this takes the perfume smell away.
I set the tank up with it and bought a pair of kribs and they immediately bred and the following week i had babies swimming round, I also put some endlers in and there's also lots of their babies too so doesn't look to be harmful.

its not harmful at all, as long as its washed well before going into tank.
giving it a good wash also removes the dusty parts of it which is a good thing.
but once the smell has gone, your good to go.

Thanks for this, saved me hastle looking it up :) did everyone run theres under a tap or such until it ran clear basically? mine too is scentless, well nothing I can smell

It will run clear but once put in the tank and filled the water will cloud from it anyway. Best way would be to lay the litter, then lay newspaper over the top of it when filling so as to not disturb it. That way you should have a clearer tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Im hearing from a guy that to me knows his stuff and he personally finds it to cloud everytime he moves something in the tank and it doesnt hold plants very well, it does it but maybe not aswell as others

any personal experience or solutions?

Ah fair enough, I do actually think now he may not have used the same one to be fairas he said it was light in colour, to me this is pretty dark indeed!

How are you finding it foxfish?

Thanks guys, Yeah I have seen that post and it convinced me to go that way, mostly as its more benefits to it than sand or regular gravel, however I will be using it as a cap to my potting soil beneath, I have a very fine mesh between the two however so there should be minimal if any dirt rising up...however reading posts im unsure whether I could use it on its own, as I wont be using any ferts or Co2 so worried it will therefore be useless, anyone got an idea?

Alastair said:
It will run clear but once put in the tank and filled the water will cloud from it anyway. Best way would be to lay the litter, then lay newspaper over the top of it when filling so as to not disturb it. That way you should have a clearer tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 This method works well. I actually put clingfilm on top of the newspaper too :) (The idea was not mine it was nabbed from Oliver Knott.... saw him do it in a workshop video.

foxfish said:
the cat litter in question (tesco) is made from hard backed clay, it is "rock" hard.
The litter does not cloud the water.

Hey foxfish. I used the exact same cat litter we are all talking about on this thread and mine sure as hell clouded. Took 3 days to clear properly, and that was with 3 hours of rinsing. I think it depends how slowly you fill the tank, and also how dusty the bag is you buy to be honest, so everyone's experience is likely to be different. It is something people need to be aware of as a possibility though.

Back