• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tetra complete substrate or Tropica?

Tiber

Hi folks

Sorry to pester you, but I have had 2 recommendations for substrate in a planted tank. Tropica and Tetra complete.

They are both around the same price, so I thought I would see if the forum could offer any advice?

Are you talking about Tropica aquasoil or their substrate?

The tetra stuff and tropica substrate have to be capped with sand or gravel etc, the tropica aquasoil dosen't

Are you talking about Tropica aquasoil or their substrate?

The tetra stuff and tropica substrate have to be capped with sand or gravel etc, the tropica aquasoil dosen't

Under gravel substrate in each case. I bought the gravel before finding out I needed substrate so I want to use it now I have it

Apologies, I just realised I didn't put this in the Substrates section

Either will work fine in that case, I would personally choose the tropica stuff, simply because I like their products.

You don't actually need any if you don't want to use it, while it can be useful, water column dosing is all that is needed.

I used both.

Tropica plant substrate is like brown sandy dirt in consistency - very light and fine - you pull a plant out and water will get brown.

Tetra substrate is like fine gravel in consistency - heavy and completely different to Tropica.

Both work fine, but Tetra will be way easier to use and more forgiving for a beginner (for example if you have to move plants around etc.).

Forgive my ignorance but wouldn’t it be considerably cheaper to use potting soil since it seems like at least the tropica stuff is comparable. I have used potting soil under blasting sand with very good results but it is messy if you replant a lot.

Back