• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TGM Plants..unexpected challenge !

CarlN

Seedling
I'm hoping someone with rather more knowledge than me (that means pretty much all of you I think :) ) can give me an idea of what I have here - I bought one of the bundles from TGM which included 8 plants .. which is all very nice but there's no indication of what they are.....

N5ogA3tAvWOoc0twNrM6ge8RryySBShbtLytjI364tK7EwcsC5mrNyK16mXnGNe8Z6OrMvABpddkQ__JLH=w1560-h878-no.jpg

Being a beginner at this whole planted tank m'larky, I'm really not sure where to start ! The best I can do from nosing around is that the reddish plant is possibly a crypt, there are two pots of a hairgrass type.

Once I've an idea of what they are , I can read up and figure out where they should go

Cheers

top right maybe cardamine lyrata, second from right on the bottom row looks like an anubias petite/bonsai, and maybe second from left on the bottom is an ammania bonsai? To be honest it could be the photo but they don't look in great condition...

The reddish one wont be a crypt i wouldnt have thought, probably an Alternanthera reineckii

Someone better than me will tell you the real names!

From above, left:
most likely Eleocharis - Alternanthera - Hygrophila, most likely pinnatifida - Hydrocotyle
Possibly Eleocharis(but could well be Helanthium or other) - Bacopa, likely australis - Anubias, likely 'petite' - Hemianthus 'cuba'

Thats most kind, thank you for the information..... the condition is probably due to them being shipped on a friday and delivered monday, which I was a little surprised by tbh . They were also in a box with some rock and soil, and although well bubble-wrapped, I can't see it being ideal :p

There you go, Mick comes in and shows i know nothing, one right, not sure if i am pleased or depressed!

One right is more than I managed :)

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

I'd've expected the plant "bundles" to be composed to meet such criteria as "beginner/advanced" or "non-CO2" or "discus" or ...
at any rate, plants should still have their identifying labels or a list of species included - instead this looks to be a collection of plants which have lost their labels & shop can't be bothered ... instead just send them out as a "bundle" (but perhaps they ship out at very low cost - in which instance, much can be forgiven ;) )

Mark - you hazarded guesses & that is worth much :)
It takes time/practise/experience to identify emerse plants as they can look rather different from submerse culture, also depending on how the nursery has grown them on & which variants they've used in their "mother" stocks.
As well, come of these plants don't look to be in the best condition - perhaps (most recent) shipping venture but also perhaps they've been sitting in less than suitable conditions at the shop or arrived from the "nursery-supplier" in much the same as what's seen here ...

CarlN - what's your set up?

There you go, Mick comes in and shows i know nothing, one right, not sure if i am pleased or depressed!
Sorry *lol*
Let it be known, though, that I typed and sent before reading your guesses :angelic:
- let it also be recognized, that I too, can not be even close to sure, on some of those.......

i thought the one next to the hc might be Lobelia Cardinalis Mini but would like to see a pic of the stem. All of them look like tgm budget range, which i dont really rate. I had some hc from them like that and I wont buy from there again. none of the budget plants I got from there had labels either which isn't good for beginners.

Alto - I don't actually have a setup as yet, I'm just dipping my toes into the water as it where . I've had marine for years and had a hankering for something simpler and ...well...not as expensive :) . I have a TMC Microhabitat 30L that I thought I'd setup as a basic planted tank and see how I got on - so http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/shop/nature-aquarium-in-a-box-no-2-for-aquariums-up-to-40l/ seemed like a good idea ... maybe I got a friday afternoon special, but like you I was hoping for some sort of information like 'beginner plants' and labels or somesuch ! I just popped them in some water as soon as they arrived and misted them whilst I figured out what to do with the rocks and wood they sent me. In hindsight probably not the best way to proceed but it seemed like an idea at the time, but its done so I'll see if I can make it work

Back