• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thai micro crabs

A little, pretty easy to keep - lots of floating plants, bigger tank is better as water quality is more impactful than with cherry shrimp. Not known any babies to make it past a day or so though. Kept them with badis badis for about 2 years, larger ones survived without much issue.

However as with all these things, aren't the becoming endangered in wild due to over fishing?

Just looking at possibly in future of getting some. Did you actually ever get to really see them because of being so small?

Not sure about them being endangered

definitely an issue that received a good bit of media attention a couple years back - they were extremely popular for awhile (and mortality rates were high re shipping inexperience and shop keeping inexperience)
I don’t know how things stand nowadays (certainly shippers are better at transporting them)

There were a few articles in Amazonas Magazine

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/201...-limnopilos-naiyanetri-new-breeding-progress/

Even in tank shops they can be so hard to see.I would recommend a nano tank with little plants but be careful of fluctuations.

Personally, until we see successful captive breeding we should stand strong and not purchase these. They will be driven to extinction, and for what?

That's a fair point mate. Dont fancy being part of the reason they completely disappear.

Just looking at possibly in future of getting some. Did you actually ever get to really see them because of being so small?

Yeah, they're pretty obvious. I can't say for certain some fry didn't make it, they were in with relatively voracious fish that ate anything that moved. In 2 years of having them in one tank, I had the same 12 I put in there, I think. I suspect the issue with these is that they're not suited to nano aquariums at all and require absolutely perfect water for younglings to survive but adults can tolerate a lot, maybe.

Yeah, they're pretty obvious. I can't say for certain some fry didn't make it, they were in with relatively voracious fish that ate anything that moved. In 2 years of having them in one tank, I had the same 12 I put in there, I think. I suspect the issue with these is that they're not suited to nano aquariums at all and require absolutely perfect water for younglings to survive but adults can tolerate a lot, maybe.
Assuming we're talking about limnopilos naiyanetri I only stumbled on these this morning on the bay and they got me curious so I've sent the seller a question asking if they are wild or captive bred. I'll update when I find out.
PFK did an article on them around 10 years ago if anyone is interested.

Tried them about 10 years ago or so, they did not last very long, I would not try them again! There are more common aquatic crabs you can try that are easier to keep! Maidenhead Aquatics usually keep them!

I would recommend vampire crabs a paludarium would work great.They are easier to keep and pretty.I agree cos i saw a lot of the crabs in the shop display tank were dead and was like omg.Wild caught stuff is sure not sustainable and Im guessing theres also massive deaths during transport that we dont see.

Tried them about 10 years ago or so, they did not last very long, I would not try them again! There are more common aquatic crabs you can try that are easier to keep! Maidenhead Aquatics usually keep them!

So they have been around for a while then. Surprising how after so long there not commonly bred but by the sounds of it there must be a lot of difficulty breeding them.

So they have been around for a while then. Surprising how after so long there not commonly bred but by the sounds of it there must be a lot of difficulty breeding them.

And of course, the breeders would love to solve this so will have thrown quite a lot of resources at attempting to breed I would have thought!

Back