• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Barren [Oops little accident - Taken Down]

Re: The Barren [DIY External Made and Added 20/10/10]

Mark Evans said:
sanj said:
I had crabs once...

:lol: sorry, just found that funny

ROFL - :lol: :lol: :lol:

Added some IAL Last night, Dunno why i had been forgetting to Add this. Have found shrimp do better with this in the tank.

Just got back from Shopping and Found Some Perfect Wabi-Kusa and Pico Tanks and Carafe. All Under £10 each. Cubes, Bowls, Cylindrical, Eliptical, Circular, Pico Rectangular etc. And also some very nice little Statues for accents.

So Another Cube or something is on the cards tommorrow.
Going to be a bit more Arty in scaping and only 3 Plants will be Used(been Growing them). Lighting will be LED E14 Bulb off ebay, as seen one a friend uses and sooooo Cheap and the amount of light given off is amazing. Also I have had some HC floating in with the fighters and it does still spread like a carpet. Albeit the leaves are bigger but still looks ok.

The HC in the barren is doing weel, it is left alone by the snails and just grows slowly. Not bothered ont he timescale of growth as it is Very Low tech and It may take Months and Months for it gain any headway in it. But will leave it alone to grow from the 1 tiny sprig i added.

Micro Crabs will be here this week, and also ordered some *Thiara Cancellata* + * CLITHON CORONA * to try them out.

Micro Crabs and Snails Arrived and are acclimating. :)

155242_1710371320842_1284876833_31906694_7171950_n.jpg

Gill said:
Star Moss has been Fully Submerged this morning, and will monitor to see how it goes in transition. So Far being just under the water by a few mls has not affected it.

Hi Gill, just wondering who the Star Moss was coming along, I had been thinking of getting some from Aquaticmagic but had heard mixed reports about its ability to survive long term under water.

Oh, love the crabs by the way. I bought 6/7 from my LFS bout 6 months ago, didnt see them very much, lol.

shrimprodeo said:
Gill said:
Star Moss has been Fully Submerged this morning, and will monitor to see how it goes in transition. So Far being just under the water by a few mls has not affected it.

Hi Gill, just wondering who the Star Moss was coming along, I had been thinking of getting some from Aquaticmagic but had heard mixed reports about its ability to survive long term under water.

Oh, love the crabs by the way. I bought 6/7 from my LFS bout 6 months ago, didnt see them very much, lol.

Hiya, Star Moss Failed Again. Just does not take being submerged very well for me.
I have had some from AM and it is the same as the moss that grows here in the uk.

My Crabs are doing great, they have each chosen areas they like and stay there during the day and ca be seen roaming about after lights out.

Yeah, that doesnt surprise me, from what I have heard this moss isnt suited for growth under water. From what I gather it grows in arid and dry places, seems to be of interest to the scientific community due to its ability to survive for long periods without water. I dont think I will be buying any, seems like a bit of a con that AM can sell this as an aquarium plant if indeed it is not amphibious, shame because the pics of it look awesome.

Any thoughts on a replacement?

Gill tank and inhabitants look good mate. How do the crabs get on with shrimp? And will they touch algae?

Let's have some more info and pics on this outside pond thingy haha.

nayr88 said:
Gill tank and inhabitants look good mate. How do the crabs get on with shrimp? And will they touch algae?

Let's have some more info and pics on this outside pond thingy haha.

Shrimps and Crabs do not bother each other, I have not seen them touch the spirulina tablets ATM, but they readily take the hikari micro pellets.

The outdoor ponds are just Builders barrells, so nothing special.

Going to the Midland Fish Auction at the weekend, And Will try and resist buying anything. I must resist bidding on any of the following, As really can't afford them:

Betta macrostoma
Betta uberis sp.Tayan
Betta livida
Betta pugnax
Betta pi
Betta raja
Parosphromenus linkei
Parosphromenus deissneri
Sphaerichthys vaillanti
Parosphromenus anjunganensis WILD red liquorice gourami
Betta falx - Wild caught from Java

Red Endler
Xiphophorus cortezi - Vinasco, Mexico
Micropoecilia parae - Red
Micropoecilia parae - Blue
Micropoecilia parae - Yellow
Girardinus metallicus
Poecilia wingei (tiggers)
Heterandria formosa

Wild bettas are pretty cool, I don't really know what the other latin names are haha.

What's the low down on them though? Do they have a heater or filter? What's da deal gilllllll?

The Barren has been taken down, as a little mishap while moving a Speaker and this was on the floor. Saved Nearly all the Inhabitants.

All inhabitants are in a Temp Cube untill they all go to their new home in prep for going on holiday (no-one will be here to look after any of the tanks)

I've really enjoyed following this journal.
In particular, I think the way the broken up slate was used was very original and quite inspiring.

onwards and upwards Gill :)

a1Matt said:
I've really enjoyed following this journal.
In particular, I think the way the broken up slate was used was very original and quite inspiring.

onwards and upwards Gill :)

Thanks, I have enjoyed the journey of this one and experimenting with different things.

I left the tank and the Hardscape(what was Left) On the Sink outdoors(Dads Rinsing Sink for Photographic purposes) and My Word The water is So Clear after the thaw.

Crabs are in this for now
th_VID00024-20101203-0958.jpg

Back