• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'The Full Monty' Has Left The Building last photos

Cheers Greenfinger2, it was a great trip...plants are ridiculously cheap...I was over there twenty odd years ago and the prices were the same then. I had a marine tank at the time and they were selling Emperor Tangs for 15 Hong Kong Dollars which at the time equated to £1.00 sterling:wideyed:

Why....do we have to pay so much over here:shifty:

Rock wall sounds awesome! I wanted to try the mesh with lava rock tied to it then plant., maybe in the future!
EBay gift is basically what they would write on the packaging. It's mainly for customs if you've ever bought anything from China or far away. I suppose you would have to look at how long the post usually takes to get from them to you as the plants are obviously perishable.

Rock wall sounds awesome! I wanted to try the mesh with lava rock tied to it then plant., maybe in the future!
EBay gift is basically what they would write on the packaging. It's mainly for customs if you've ever bought anything from China or far away. I suppose you would have to look at how long the post usually takes to get from them to you as the plants are obviously perishable.
Doesnt always work
I once got charged £80 on a guitar which cost £350 and that was marked as an ebay gift

Yeah it's a chance you have to take I suppose, just wondering what import fees on plants would be? I'd have a read up, might be in fact illegal to post plants from abroad?

Maybe you need a CITES License or something like that...

http://www.fws.gov/international/cites/

I did this once before using Plastic eggshell crating, the type you see in ceilings covering fluorescent lighting, it worked great..did a journal on it a few years back...

Can't remember what it was called at present...but this time I am looking for something a bit more natural and longer lasting...

Cheers

Just found it in case you are interested in the future...

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/a-shady-glen-the-recovery-photographs.11352/

Last edited:
That's where I got the idea from, I was linked to your journal in mine because of the corner tank. Looked spot on!! Have a look at the tank! Let me know what you think! And let me know if you do anything on the plant front!
Matt.

Well...EPIC FAIL Today...:arghh::mad::arghh::mad::rage::rage:

As mentioned earlier I decided this afternoon I was going to drain the tank and build my rock wall...that was about 2pm this afternoon, I got all my bits of rock ready, went out and got the glue gun etc...its now 8.15pm and I have filled the tank back up and got the filters back working...that's the good news...bad news is no rock wall...

Why? Because my great idea of draining 200 litres of water into a barrel and connecting up the filters into the barrel didn't work...why is it that despite having hundreds of feet of hose lying around and millions of connectors I could not get an airtight seal to siphon the water from the filters into the barrel...airlocks left right and centre, and that much pipework lying around the living room it looked like spaghetti junction... Grrrr absolutely a complete waste of time, almost knackered one of the filters, twice I nearly flooded the place, her indoors wasn't best pleased with all the noise and my shimfing...

Has anyone else taken three inches of skin off their knuckles trying to force connectors into pipes that are too small or too big? (even after heating up the pipes in boiling water) I have got that many plasters on my fingers I look like I ran my fingers over with the lawnmower!! Then to top it all I sat down for tea and proceeded to grab hold of the pan handle of the pan of food my wife had just removed from the oven that had been on £$%&*g thermonuclear mark £$%^&*g 10 zillion aaaarghhh...:nurse::nurse:

If I can pluck up the courage I might have another go tomorrow...trouble is I just know I will finish up having to completely disconnect and remove the filters out of the cupboard place them next to the barrel and minimise the pipework...bit of a kerfuffle but I can't see any other way...:sour::sour::sour:

It's either that or no rock wall :grumpy:

Laters...I'm off to bed

It probably doesn't make you feel any better today but it'll be worth it in the end mate. That's the good thing about the journals as you show the ups and the downs. Everyone can see what you go through to get to the finished article.

You're right it doesn't make me feel any better today...but...

I have dreamed up a cunning plan...I think...

I am going to put a large container inside the tank and just drop the outlet and inlet pipes into that from both filters...then drain the tank to the bottom and hopefully the this will prevent me from having to disconnect and remove everything...

Update tomorrow...

Plants will be a bit tricky, but there seem to be some logistic companies that can take care of it. Other things are easy, I even sent some glass Lily pipes to Holland ones by TNT (not cheap though, but still a lot cheaper than buying in Holland).
Many things I buy here are bought on a Chinese website called Taobao.com...it's in Chinese of course so I always have to ask my wife to assist.:D

It probably doesn't make you feel any better today but it'll be worth it in the end mate. That's the good thing about the journals as you show the ups and the downs. Everyone can see what you go through to get to the finished article.

Well today is another day...and guess what another EPIC FAIL:arghh: Can someone remind me why we do this again...is it to avoid stress, chill out and relax...err not so far it isn't...

Drained the tank okay...good start...connected everything up externally...so far so good...

Some of the tank water stored...

DSC02299_zps0cfe71e0.jpg

Tank drained...

DSC02300_zps0f839a23.jpg

Big container with more water to be filtered while the job gets done...

DSC02301_zpsa2b9081a.jpg

Layout all my rock and prepared the glue gun...steady now...let's not get carried away...

DSC02303_zpsa6185ace.jpg

DSC02302_zps89876450.jpg

Ready steady go...

DSC02304_zps3a31df7b.jpg

Got cracking, going great guns, things are looking good so far...what could go wrong??

DSC02305_zps62362000.jpg

Two hours later job done...or so I thought...

DSC02306_zps3063e30f.jpg

Started filling the tank and no sooner had the water reached the level where I'd glued the rock wall to the glass I heard a plunk followed by another and another...the glue which had fixed the rock to the wall did a great job, it seemed to be fixed solid...until it got wet...:mad:

Bits of glue off the rock and the back wall...Should have guessed..if it ain't natural, it doesn't go in...end of...

DSC02306_zps3063e30f.jpg

DSC02310_zps145af49d.jpg

Oh b£$%^&*x!!

So with regret I decided to be on the safe side and dismantle the rest...:grumpy: Rather that than a piece to fall down and hit the glass:eek:

So another day wasted...and no rock wall, at least not what I'd planned...

I did manage to lodge firmly in place some of the rock and then fixed the Hornwood in and around it so it does look a bit different...

Jim at TGM told me my plants were in yesterday but now I have messed about with it and changed so much water I am going to have to wait another week at least for the parameters to settle down again..:(

Then some good news...or so I thought...the two new Giesemann Powerchrome bulbs I ordered yesterday from Charterhouse Aquatics arrived just after lunchtime...hooray...until I unpacked them...boohoo:arghh: they were both smashed to bits inside the packaging.

DSC02311_zps89f517a3.jpg

DSC02312_zps7d236824.jpg

DSC02313_zpsc9d09b6d.jpg

I have to say whoever wrapped them at Charterhouse Aquatics did a damn fine job, they were superbly packaged, double wrapped on the inside and out, so whichever £$%^&*g neanderthal from the courier company carried them must have driven over them or something to smash them...

So what next...well I have decided I am not going to touch anything for a week at least, and I am certainly not going to make anymore attempts at building a rock wall...

In case anyone is interested I have a few things going spare...for example...

A ton of rock in different shapes and sizes...
One Glue gun used only once...
About 50 spare glue sticks...
A couple of gallons of 'Fixol' used for sticking backing on aquariums...
A few hundred metres of pipework in various lengths...

Updates to follow...

Its beer and curry time....

Cheers,

Steve.

Oh my.... Steve :(

But keep smiling! I'm pretty sure that the final result will be even better after all those obstacles! ;)

Cheers,
Chris

Back