• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Great Cherry Red Shrimp Die Off

Ime a tds meter is invaluable when it comes to shrimp match up the tds of tank to shop water then tank to water change water and you'll see your losses drop, unfortunately bacteria infections still occur triggered by higher temps is my suspicion smaller tanks being particularly prone to these ( just lost a few blue jellies :( )

Ouch sorry for the blue jelly losses tim.

On the acclimatisation process too, getting shrimp from fish shops ive found that the tds of the bag the shrimp are in is quite high (my water is very soft) in comparison to the tank which means I couldn't just drip into the bag for an hour or two then release as the tds in the bag wont have been reduced. I slowly take out water from the shrimp bag whilst water is dripping into it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: tim
Ime a tds meter is invaluable when it comes to shrimp match up the tds of tank to shop water then tank to water change water and you'll see your losses drop, unfortunately bacteria infections still occur triggered by higher temps is my suspicion smaller tanks being particularly prone to these ( just lost a few blue jellies :( )

With regards to tds I recently bought some shrimp from a local breeder (snowballs and blue pearls) who had them in remineralised RO with a tds of 90.
My treated tapwater is in excess of 200 and I "dripped" them for 5 hours with no losses whatsoever 3 months on.
While I realise that for the more "delicate" CRS my water isn't suitable I believe the longer you acclimatise the shrimp the better chance you have of minimising losses.
I have to agree with smaller tanks being more prone to these bacteria infections as I have never had any losses in my 90lt running CO2 and EI ferts but last summer had a few in my 28lt low tech tank.

Back