• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Green Corner (planted on page 2)

Hi guys,

I promised to keep you up2date every other week and I will try my best. But sadly, the current state of the tank does not show a lot of changes. Plants are just growing and getting trimmed.

But as we are now two months into this tank, I start thinking about changes I would like an things that are disturbing my joy. The latter is what I would like to address the most ;) Some of them are:

1. my shrimp don't care about me enjoying a plain sand area. They constantly move everything that's not white to the forground and I think they are giggling while watching me remove the mess every week :D
I was thinking to adress this by adding a complete carpete of dwarf hairgrass to the tank. It grows well inside and looks awesome. Maybe this would please we. And if not, plants can be remove without any problems.
Also I think I would mix the carpet with some other plants, maybe Randalisma rostratum, Cryptocoryne Parva or something else. I am pretty open for any suggestions here.

2. I love green. And I simply miss some of it inside of that tank. Sure, anything grows awesome, but is it enough for me?
This would be solved through the things said before.

3. I enjoy the right side of the tank due to the awesome reineckii mini. But for me, there is something missing on the left one.
More red would be too mucht I think. But some stems of Staurogyne Repens would give a similar shape and maybe they could give a great transition on the right side of the aquarium.

Those are just some thoughts of myself about the tank. Maybe I will realize them, maybe not. I think this will be dependend on my own wishes for change and the grade of satisfaction with the tank over the course of the next weeks. Thats one part of this hobby, that I really enjoy. In my opinion, there is no such thing as a perfectly planned tank, it's more of a journey to happiness ;)

This was some other kind of update, no images, just thoughts, but I hope thats appealing as well.

Have a nice day and enjoy your tanks.

Hi folks,

I did not update this thread for a long time and I would like to appologize for that. I was short on time for some weeks and afterwards, I forgot about it to be honest. But today, I would like to show you a new picture.

The plants are growing awesome. That leads to my biggest problem with the layout in its current form: I underestimated how big a java fern can get. It got pretty big and covered nearly all of my hardscape. I still enjoy the tank, but I have learned a lot for my next try ;)

Further, i rescaped the foreground with Glosso and I split up the Reineckii Mini. I also removed the Rotalas in the Background, because I did not like their visuals in this tank. I planted some Hygrophila Pinnatifida in the Background before Christmas, but because they were In Vitro, they are still just about 5 - 6 cm heigh.

All in all, I am pretty happy with the tank at the moment, except the java fern. But I am trimming it back every week and it's getting a bit smaller each time. Maybe I will soon see my hardscape again.

TankUpdate18-01-12.jpg

Best Regards
Dominik

It's always great to see updates, even if it's been while :)

Tank looks grand

I agree on the Microsorum - there are some "dwarf" varieties available (shouldn't be too difficult to source in Germany)

Hi,

since I started a thread to rescape this tank, it will not stand very long anymore. So here is a last picture of it. As always, my picture quality is down to my smartphone camera =)

LayoutOldFinal.jpg

Sadly the Glosso in the middle of the foreground did not fully recover from its last trim, but since I will take the tank down today, I don't have the extra 1 - 2 days.

I think it ended up looking really good! Should be proud, lots of lush nice plants!

Thank you guys =) I am really happy with the way it developped. And the layout fullfilled its purpose on point: I wanted to learn to grow different plants and I did so. Now it is the time to move on to something, that is more reliant on hardscape =)

Back