• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The last gate, Nano Iwagumi

staghorn algae :banghead: I know that all too well ! It didn't come in with any plant, so you can relax ; it's a deprivation algae ; in my case appeared when I had too much light , too soon ; you're day 32, are you sure you don't have too much light ? I see you have led, you should turn them on 8 hours a day, but less than 50 lumen / liter; on the other hand your CO2 diffuser is way too close to the surface, your wasting CO2 ! even if your drop checker is almost yellow ! as a matter of fact I think you should lower your drop checker to see if it's the same color at substrate level

staghorn algae :banghead: I know that all too well ! It didn't come in with any plant, so you can relax ; it's a deprivation algae ; in my case appeared when I had too much light , too soon ; you're day 32, are you sure you don't have too much light ? I see you have led, you should turn them on 8 hours a day, but less than 50 lumen / liter; on the other hand your CO2 diffuser is way too close to the surface, your wasting CO2 ! even if your drop checker is almost yellow ! as a matter of fact I think you should lower your drop checker to see if it's the same color at substrate level

Hi Eduard!

Thanks for your reply!

I have a greater CO2 distribution now with diffuser close to the spin outflow. Even if the diffuser is close to surface, al the CO2 is pushed downwards.

I'm at 30 lumens/liter 6 hours per day. Is that too much?

I'm dosing some easy carbo now to get rid of the staghorn

to be honest with you I personally believe that the best distribution of CO2 is achieved with an inline diffuser ( and at the same time less hardware inside the tank, especially if it's a nano ); 30 lumens/liter sounds ok to me ; 6 hours per day ? seems to be not enough, I think your plants crave for 8 hours a day ; as I told you, staghorn is deprivation algae, so something is missing, and I think that you don't give your plants enough photoperiod ; go to 8 hours/day ; anyway you'll know that the problem is solved the moment when you algae will turn from dark to light grey; easy carbo is great per se - I use it too - , but I don't think will do much good against this type of algae; be patient
Cheers and Happy New Year :D

Day 49

Things going in the right direction! I'm point dosing easy carbo right into the staghorn and it's working really good.

I've also added an air pump to the setup. It's on during the night. Making the surface nice an clean in the morning!

I will change to inline diffuser this week. I think it's going to help me keep better co2 levels

Day 49
24190547900_aa86adf39b_k.jpgDay 49 by Joakim Lindbäck, on Flickr

Staghorn dying
23857924034_9e99ff05e9_k.jpgIMG_1594 by Joakim Lindbäck, on Flickr

Back