• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Original

I often find when a scape has run out of control the best thing is the resolution and relief when the next scape hits, even rescued scapes can still harbour that ghost of dissatisfaction.

So what’s next then? 😈

Wow, this set up really has broken you...

I often find when a scape has run out of control

Not quite that drastic really, it wasn’t blasted at the end, just annoying:

1667419473706.jpeg

Kind of like having something stuck between your teeth that you can’t get out… So took my hands to it:

1667419515171.jpeg

And now the problem is much improved:

1667419620509.jpeg

😂 😆 😝

Seriously though, the complete unknown timescale for that wood to stop leaching was the deal breaker. They were large and substantial enough bits of wood to raise alarm bells. The particular pieces of wood in question smelled stagnant when removed. Others just smelled like wet driftwood which was interesting. Lends weight to @Witcher ’s proposition:

I know from other threads you're plant keeper with quite rigoristic approach so wouldn't believe it's something about the water, there is definitely an abundance of algae spores in the wood (plus very likely wood mass is being perfect condition for their growth regardless of what's in the water - maybe it was previously laying in the water containing all the necessary ferts and other rubbish algae needs and had soaked what algae need ).

Had lots of problems with similar algea on woods in my bedroom tank.. Lowering the lights making it a blackwater was the only remedy, really like the dimmed lights better in our room anyway.
I guess its not your interest to do something like it. Sad to see your vision didn't worked the way you would. And i loved to see it evolve in a nice one. But why sell it all so drastically, are you going all out on marine now?

Had lots of problems with similar algea on woods in my bedroom tank.. Lowering the lights making it a blackwater was the only remedy, really like the dimmed lights better in our room anyway.

This may have been a longer term solution, but would have taken this tank away from the intended goal. So much so that it becomes something different entirely. Kudos to you for adapting your tank though @DeepMetropolis .

All things considered, it really is important to recognise a losing game sometimes and this one was like writing a blank cheque with your time. The one hour per tank per week rule is a good rule around here, helps manage unrealistic expectations. Sooner or later, you’ll let yourself and that tank down. Life will get in the way.

But why sell it all so drastically, are you going all out on marine now?

Not at all, just feels like a change is in order. Been running some sort of 4ft freshwater setup for years @DeepMetropolis so it would be nice to change things up, see what else we can do 😎

Wow, interesting thread! I think the big takeaway for me is to start taking presoaking pretty seriously for any really large pieces of wood. I Knew that wood leached tannins etc, but the amount of organics being leached here too was off the charts.

Look forward to seeing whats next!

Some (a lot) of amanos and
Wow, interesting thread! I think the big takeaway for me is to start taking presoaking pretty seriously for any really large pieces of wood. I Knew that wood leached tannins etc, but the amount of organics being leached here too was off the charts.

Look forward to seeing whats next!

It’s so important for big bits of wood, especially things you find yourself. Time it right with frogs spawning and tadpoles and they should do most of the hard work for you 😅

Fully understand why your breaking it down but gutted you’re actually selling the set up. I’m hoping onto bigger and better things? Would love to see you do a biotope style tank.

Cheers

cant wait to see where you are going with it next...

Drum roll please…. 🥁

1667724916397.jpeg

😂 😆 😝

Fully understand why your breaking it down but gutted you’re actually selling the set up.

Don’t worry @Conort2

Have a sneaky suspicion you’ll see this setup on UKAPS again in another members capable hands 😉

Would love to see you do a biotope style tank.

It is on the hit list 😎

But if going this way would be a Panta Rhei style biotope; built in rain cycle, species specific setup. Requires a lot more research and getting more specific.

However, just dropped a setup due to time commitments. The wood issue just expedited the outcome. For now it’s the 1200 reef tank and the 45F shallow until circumstances change.

Would love too see you try your hand at macro algae.

Think @Courtneybst has an updated, modern looking and stunning macro algae setup covered already, awesome setup.

Admirable choice @Geoffrey Rea.

Seems less of a breaking and more of a … ya I’m not doing this until this wood decided to stop being disgusting.

Doesn’t seem related to the plants at all … and it wasn’t on every piece of wood right?

Just the three pieces @JoshP12 and plant growth was unaffected. One thing that wasn’t fine was the unspecified amount of time required each week to manage the setup, so no regrets. It’s useful to know when enough is enough.

It is on the hit list 😎

But if going this way would be a Panta Rhei style biotope; built in rain cycle, species specific setup. Requires a lot more research and getting more specific.
Sounds great, probably something that initially needs a lot of planning and time to set up but once it’s done maintenance should be a lot less intensive than a high tech planted tank.

Back