• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Puntius Effect

Puntius

Hi my fellow green fingers.

So here is my 580 Liter planted tank.

Started this tank last year October with about 13 Tiger barbs and now I have 70
laughing7.gif

I dig them plenty they are very active and they are just awesome dudes
icon_thumright.gif

I had all the plain old plastic plants in at first and I went planted in March and WOW what a difference it made to the behavior of my barbs they all went more natural they love their planted tank.

Been on Tropical Aquariums South Africa since last year July and up until now I had over 45000 views
occasion14.gif

And to be honest they dig their plants so much that none of the plants gets eaten, they are always very excited when I plant something new.

Got my pressurized CO2 system on the 17 July 2013 co2 is pure AWESOMENESS!!!

I am doing EI and my light are on from 14h30-21:45

Using 6 x 54w T5 all with Alanod Reflectors.

Enjoy!!!

Fauna

37 Tiger Barbs
24 Albino Barbs
9 Green Tiger Barbs
5 Black Ruby Barbs
12 Odessa Barbs
6 Siamese Algae Eaters
5 Zebra Loaches
4 Yoyo Loaches
8 Albino Corydoras
11 Panda Corydoras

Flora

All I can say is serious case of COLLECTORITUS

20131031_20462601_zps0b03ebe7.jpg

Attachments

• 20131031_20462601_zps0b03ebe7.jpg
    20131031_20462601_zps0b03ebe7.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 65
Such a good move going for live planted tanks... plastic is evil IMO. The tank looks great!

That is a lot of light though, you could get away with signifciantly less wattage and still grow all those plants, maintenance woul be easier in the long term. That is unless your tank is particularly deep. What are dimensions out of interest?

It is nice to see a tank focussed on barbs, dont often see that. I think one of the Ian's on here has one... I think.

Such a good move going for live planted tanks... plastic is evil IMO. The tank looks great!

That is a lot of light though, you could get away with signifciantly less wattage and still grow all those plants, maintenance woul be easier in the long term. That is unless your tank is particularly deep. What are dimensions out of interest?

It is nice to see a tank focussed on barbs, dont often see that. I think one of the Ian's on here has one... I think.

Oh yeah you would not believe me, when I started with this tank I was against going with live plants and now been keeping live plants since March 2013.

I would never look back live plants are beyond awesome and it gives our fishes the natural look and feel they are accustomed to.

My tank is 1650l x 770h x 535 w that is why I am running 6 x 54w t5 tubes, only running my lights from for 7 hours.

I dig my barbs very much, they are such awesome stunning fish.

Very lively and always active.

Love Odessa barbs! I only have 7 (3 male and 4 female) in a 125 litre tank.

I've kept some 'trendy' fish like microrasbora and galaxy danios but they were so shy and difficult to see in a planted tank. Odessa barbs are the complete opposite and also really beautiful.

P

Oh yeah they are stunning fish, I want to get more of them this year.

Just need to get a new quarantine tank some time. So I can stock up on more Odessa barbs, they are really beyond awesome.

My odessa barbs coloring is stunning.

Hello Hannes! I'm Razer2007 on those other forums. Your tank looks good. I'm getting some odessa barbs as well for my river tank! They look amazing

I love tiger barbs and wanted to do a 'tiger barb tank' so was pretty disappointed when I got on this site and discovered they were a bit on the destructive side. Lovely to see such a big shoal in a great big tank.

I love tiger barbs and wanted to do a 'tiger barb tank' so was pretty disappointed when I got on this site and discovered they were a bit on the destructive side. Lovely to see such a big shoal in a great big tank.
Oh yeah they are awesome, what do you mean you where disappointed and discovered they are on the destructive side? They dont bother with any of my plants.

Hello Hannes! I'm Razer2007 on those other forums. Your tank looks good. I'm getting some odessa barbs as well for my river tank! They look amazing
Hi Danelle,

Oh yeah on APSA, Yes they are stunning fish. Wont the current in the tank blow them out of the fish tank :eek:

Thought about getting some rhombos in the mix?. They are really nice barbs

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Never heard of them bud, will check them out.

I need to get a small tank for quarantine stage, need to get some more varieties of barbs this year got enough space for them:)

One word pure awesomeness
5ygy5e9u.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 5ygy5e9u.jpg
    5ygy5e9u.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 77
Hi my fellow green fingers.

Nice update from the Puntius Effect, all is growing back nicely after the huge trim a couple of weeks ago.

Currently running less lights and the plants are growing very well, since I have been doing the ramp up and down of lights.

I am running only 2 x 80w tubes from 15h00 till 21h30, I have my 2 x 54w tubes running from 14h00-15h00 and then also from 18h00 till 19h00 at 21h30 my 2 x 80w tubes go off and the 2 x 54w tubes go on till 22h05

My Amazon sword is nearly touching the surface at around 70-75cm tall everything has been growing much better with the lower lights.

IMG_20140307_20122301_zpscaec2514.jpg

IMG_20140307_20124001_zpsadf7dc9c.jpg

IMG_20140307_20134501_zpsb2510cb1.jpg

Enjoy.

So, do you like Barbs? :)
Tank looks great, very vibrant and i bet its hectic in there....especially at feeding time :woot:

:);):D Oh yeah for sure they are awesome fish, that is why the tank is named The Puntius Effect :D

Thanks man oh yeah it goes hectic in their at feeding time:playful:

Back