• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Roots

goldscapes

I continue to enjoy the challenge of my 155L Goldfish Cube and the Simple Planted Tank feels like it has run its course so there's only one thing for it, a new project and journal!
This one is based on a 900wx600hx500d (267 litre) tank sitting on a wooden cabinet containing a sump.
Gratuitous empty tank shot:
tempImageoAX468.jpg

Hardware List:
  • Evolution Aqua Reef Pro 900s *
  • Pair of Kessil A80 lights with gooseneck adaptors and Spectral Controller *
  • Eheim Compact On 3000 return pump
  • TMC Reef-pump DC 2000
  • JBL a300 ProSilent Air Pump
  • Eheim Aquaball Powerpump 1212 *
  • K+ filter media
  • Seachem filter socks
  • JBL Protemp e500 inline heater
* second hand

I don't have a huge amount of time for maintenance so my intention is to run this low tech, with relatively undemanding and (mostly) slow growing plants. However, I do have CO2 hardware to fall back on if necessary.

Last edited:
Finding a decent selection of hardscape in Surrey was difficult, the local MA stores were ok but I wanted somewhere with a bit more of a selection and a sandpit to try stuff out in.
After some research I eventually found Crowders Aquatics and Pet Supplies in Borden under an hour away with a fantastic selection of wood, rock and botanicals.
I tried out a few ideas, settling on Talawa Root and Dragon Stone in a triangle layout.
IMG_3319.jpg

Dragon stone is a sharp edged limestone. It looks very unnaturally under water. I daresay it's an expression of poor, popular aesthetics. Not that Amano was any better. I'm sorry.

No need to apologise, I appreciate your opinion, even if I disagree. I like the sharp edges and the contrast with the smooth bark of the Talawa Root and the rounded leaves of the Echinodorus I’m thinking about planting. I did try out some smoother Yangtze River stone originally but I couldn’t get it to sit as nicely:
80E986E0-53E3-453D-A411-B8E90C82EFC1.jpeg

Meanwhile…
The sump is up and running thanks to some excellent advice on this thread. It’s pretty quiet now and importantly is accepted by the rest of the family. Due to the floating wood I’m doing a dark start for now with a view to planting up once it sinks, which could be some weeks away.
While I’m on the subject of plants, I’ve been thinking about which species to choose. They all have to be happy with low CO2 and hard water. So far I’ve been thinking:
Echinodorius sp. (For their bright green colour)
Anubia sp. (With small leaves attached to the rocks)
Cryptocoryne sp. (Any to avoid?)
Java fern narrow (attached to the roots)
Bucephalandra (attached to the roots)
Water lettuce (floating)

Any other suggestions on easy no co2 plants please let me know 😀

Cryptocoryne sp. (Any to avoid?)
Pretty much any cryptocoryne you will find in a store will be one of the species/varieties that thrive in or at least tolerate harder water.
If you get into the rare/collector species you might find blackwater crypts. I think the former will be a good choice for a low tech setup, they are not fussy plants as long as they are undisturbed :)

It felt like adding some plants was a good idea and given the situation with the floating wood I thought surface plants were the best bet. I didn’t want anything small enough to block or pass through the weir so pond sized Water Lettuce seemed like a good option.
They tuck in nicely behind the spray bar at the back of the tank without too much shadowing and I love how the roots look in the dappled light.
860E04CA-98C7-41DE-9542-389D3910AB6C.jpeg

A slight change of tack this evening, as one of the larger roots was stubbornly refusing to sink, and also because I was getting feedback that there were too many roots overall - I tried removing the offending root. It won’t provide as many options for attaching epiphytes but it will create more swim space, and a less busy scape.
E9A173EC-7773-4691-A30E-654D3FDC6A15.jpeg

After some shenanigans with the delivery, the plants arrived. I drained the tank and roughly laid them out in their pots first:
878E6E2F-9CA7-4C36-8131-CF921ACCF9C8.jpeg
Then just went for it, attaching epiphytes with superglue where I could find suitable nooks and crannies. Here’s the result, I can’t wait to see how it grows in!
2ABEC4DE-6938-471F-908E-1F92AE801022.jpeg

Full plant list to follow…

…in no particular order:

Bolbitis heudelotii XL
Cryptocoryne usteriana
Cryptocoryne balansae
Nymphaea stellata Bulb
Cryptocoryne undulatus kasselman
Cryptocoryne amicorum
Cryptocoryne willisii
Cryptocoryne undulata Broad Leaves
Cryptocoryne albida Brown
Cryptocoryne lutea
Anubias barteri angustifolia
Bucephalandra kedagang
Anubias nana bonzai
Water lettuce

Last edited:
Looking good!
I wonder if the crypt in the front left might end up too big for the foreground once it reaches full size, you might consider moving it further back in the tank before it puts down roots and gets settled. Only if that wasnt intentional of course though 😊
Well spotted 🙂
It is intentional, to provide a bit of cover and for it to sweep over the surface, but now I think about it some more, I’m not sure that the flow from the spray bar will allow that. And it might end up squashed against the glass. I could move it to the back right, behind the anubia on the rock and find something smaller in its place. Food for thought as always Hufsa, thank you 🙏

The filter media coloured up nicely a while ago now and all the plants remained rooted so after two healthy sets of tests I moved most of the inhabitants over from the Simple Planted Tank (two stubborn Cardinals remain hiding in the undergrowth). I added 3 honey gourami from the LFS and, all being well, will return next week for some more Cardinals when they come out of quarantine.

Last edited:
Back