• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The unknown start of a journey

a lot of people here seek a volume rate of about 10 x tanks I pr. hour too achieve optimal bacteriological filtration and add a circulation pump for flow. I actually have a very small internal and only tweaked co2 flow for better result. So if money is an issue then I think I would start with a small circulation pump like a korelia. If money isn't an issue I'd go for both. Try posting your search for both in the proper section since it's been a long time since I had a big tank so I'm not up to date on brands and quality. I used to be an Eheim fan but something better and cheaper might be available now.

Sendt fra min LG-D620 med Tapatalk
6517bed612333d8eee528685468ec111.jpg

Bit of progress looking a lot better than it did!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

No not yet still on original so hoping for even better results once I sort that out, hopefully be able to cut dead off soon once they have grown a bit more. Carpet still not doing a lot definite flow issue

Well might not need it. Have you tried to up the Co 2 a bit. If not that would be my next step. Upping the co2 and not changing anything else for a couple of weeks and if you see your carpet plants start producing new shoots give it a bit more time let's say a month.
The plants need time to adjust enough for you to see if your moving in the right direction.

Well might not need it. Have you tried to up the Co 2 a bit. If not that would be my next step. Upping the co2 and not changing anything else for a couple of weeks and if you see your carpet plants start producing new shoots give it a bit more time let's say a month.
The plants need time to adjust enough for you to see if your moving in the right direction.

Well I could try and increase it the test liquid is still green never started going above. I moved the filter outlet to blow the co2 round as much as possible. Still getting the algae after about 3/4 days in the same places

Tanks 200l I do one a week and it's between 70-90l on average

Ok this may seem like a bit of a hassle but I would up them as well to at least twice a week. Maybe try having a look at tropica's app and follow there schedule setting day 1 at your next wc it's quite decent. Actually tropica's website is a really good resource on a lot of stuff if you haven't been there yet. By the way can't remember do you have any shrimp and otocinclus in there it makes a big difference.

Ok this may seem like a bit of a hassle but I would up them as well to at least twice a week. Maybe try having a look at tropica's app and follow there schedule setting day 1 at your next wc it's quite decent. Actually tropica's website is a really good resource on a lot of stuff if you haven't been there yet. By the way can't remember do you have any shrimp and otocinclus in there it makes a big difference.

So do 2 changes at 70-90l or space it over two? Not looked at that yet but I will do!

No shrimps just the normal stuff really red fin shark, electric blue rams few tetra

Ok then see if you can get some amano shrimp and a trio of otocinclus affinis. They are really good at munching up algae. Again tropica.com has an excellent example of it.

And sorry yes I meant around 50% twice a week. I know it's tiresome :(, but often wc's help a lot in a new set up.

And sorry yes I meant around 50% twice a week. I know it's tiresome :(, but often wc's help a lot in a new set up.

One last word hc is slow in a set up that isn't high light and notoriously difficult I use Monte Carlo wich is a lot more forgiving. Sorry for bad foto.
616328411b4d4873b086f3e19ce997d9.jpg

One last word hc is slow in a set up that isn't high light and notoriously difficult I use Monte Carlo wich is a lot more forgiving. Sorry for bad foto. View attachment 78461

Going to up the water changes and slowly increase the co2, if I come across a cheap enough pump I will grab one.

Tank looking good, looks like everything is very healthy!

Thank you it's small though 30 l and has been a long way had massive problems with algae as well and have no control of light as you can see :)

Actually I did exactly that same thing as you to get it going wc's co2 flow a few algae eaters looking forward to see the results

Thank you it's small though 30 l and has been a long way had massive problems with algae as well and have no control of light as you can see :)

Yea was wondering how you got on with natural lighting, looks a lot bigger on picture

Actually I did exactly that same thing as you to get it going wc's co2 flow a few algae eaters looking forward to see the results

Fingers crossed it starts doing well ill be adding more plants when I've got it going and things are really taking off, was thinking about the shrimp tonight but not sure how the red fin shark would react with them

Hi sorry for late reply. I think judging by your picture that amano shrimp are big enough to avoid being eaten.

Hi sorry for late reply. I think judging by your picture that amano shrimp are big enough to avoid being eaten.

I'll probably get some over the weekend start with a few make sure there ok first, might be moving the red fin shark in to my 2nd tank yet anyway

Hej been visiting my parents this weekend so no net did you get any shrimp and did they survive your shark

Back