• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

There is life............

martin-green

Just remembered I hadn't locked the shed, while there I looked in the pond, and although they were very tiny I saw at least 3 newts swimming/hiding from my torch. (I think that's what they were) so I am pleased to say, I have life in the pond. Going to try and get a picture of one later today.

Just remembered I hadn't locked the shed, while there I looked in the pond, and although they were very tiny I saw at least 3 newts swimming/hiding from my torch. (I think that's what they were) so I am pleased to say, I have life in the pond. Going to try and get a picture of one later today.
There was a TV programme Martin a while back were they set newt traps in local ponds , countryside and urban locations like gardens, every one of them had newts ,even though there were no visible signs in some of them,l suspect you have frogs but they spend a lot of time out of water in shady moist places

Phew, I am relieved. I was genuinely shocked when you mentioned that despite your best efforts nothing grew or visited your garden. Like @Geoffrey Rea mentioned in his pond journal, don’t give up, keep on keeping on with the wildlife gardening and they will eventually show up.

Hi all,
There was a TV programme Martin a while back were they set newt traps in local ponds , countryside and urban locations like gardens, every one of them had newts ,even though there were no visible signs in some of them
Like @Geoffrey Rea mentioned in his pond journal, don’t give up, keep on keeping on with the wildlife gardening and they will eventually show up.
I hope so. I'm always in the <"Field of Dreams"> camp, but if you live in a very wildlife deprived area then you may only get a very limited range of visitors. Town are <"actually better than you might imagine">, but <"intensive arable agricultural areas"> are often wildlife deserts.

cheers Darrel

Old established neighbourhoods are pretty good for wildlife. The Victorian neighbourhood I once lived in had decent enough diversity even though the housing was fairly dense. And the soil was magic, like I imagine terra preta to be. It was dark and loamy. Almost everything seemed to thrive in it.

By comparison the intensive agricultural landscape is relatively barren. Just like any other industrial landscape. Not just because of habitat loss but also since agricultural practices select for competitive strategist.

Even buffer zones and hedgerows do little to redress the balance. They’re not even that good as wildlife corridors, contrary to some of the literature. It’s the main reason the current conservation paradigm doesn’t really work and hasn’t for decades.

The good news, nature is pretty good at fighting back, given half a chance.

................And here is one of the newts (Taken about 7 minutes ago)

late night swim.jpg

Excellent, I’m heading out with a torch tonight! My pond is pretty new but I’m impatient to see something with a spine using it 😂

Yes the myth that nature conservation is achievable through protected areas is just that, a myth, it’s agricultural policy that determines how most land is managed. Some substantial green shoots up here in Scotland where a handful of people own the land, carbon offset and rewilding initiatives have really taken off, buying up whole estates which is a fantastic alternative to barren moorland managed for exclusive hunting of grouse and red deer.

The governments promise of planting trees is really good and so far so good, but offset by news of sewage dumped in rivers. But they could set their sights more ,like support every county to increase hedgerows and woods even a new forest or two,

Back