• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

There'll be lots of 'oopsies' along the way, no doubt...

Newbiedoobydo

Hello, I'm a complete beginner (some would say complete numtpy) from Manchester, just starting out with two rescued goldfish and a large tank. I've already made several 'oopsies' but thankfully the fish seem to be OK - they are currently in a storage tub having daily water changes so that I can set up their big tank and make as many oopsies as I want to without it affecting them!

I'm very green-fingered with terrestrial plants, but it waits to be seen whether I can transfer this knack to the underwater variety. I'm about to try growing cacti and other succulents from seed, which is the opposite end of the scale to aquatic gardening.

It's been a very steep learning curve so far; sometimes my head has felt as if it is going to explode with all the new information I've had to take in. I'll be happy if my plants and fish thrive, and be content to admire some of the beautiful works of art that others on this forum have created with their tanks!

Welcome to UKAPS! :)

If you are going to be aquascaping a tank for goldies, you've got to be very careful about the plants that you choose, so that they don't end up as 'dinner' for the goldies! ;)

Choosing tough leaved plants such as java fern and anubias, are the best ones to go for. I also believe that java fern don't taste very nice either... not that I've got any personal experience of eating them... :rolleyes:

Thanks Scootamum. So far the goldies have shown very little interest in any plants other than elodea. They are five years old (although very stunted, only 3-4 inches body length) and the only plant they were ever given was floating elodea, so that's probably why they leave the java fern and amazon sword alone - although like you say, the java fern may not taste very nice! I'm sure if you asked on this forum, someone would have tried it and could confirm or deny it! I'm hopeful that my plants will survive - I don't think the goldies will pay much heed to a stern telling off if they are digging and munching them!

Back