• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Thread closed

Re: The green green grass my first try

Still dabbling with the idea of Co2 on this one, if I do it will be a FE set up so no worries of keeping up with teh amount needed.

Went away for a couple of days last weekend and came back to a brown tank full of rust algae lol cleaned off what I could and letting the otto's do the rest. Will get some updated pics later and list the fish etc.

If nothing else, if things haven't changed plant wise since the last photo's, I'd be looking to add LOADS more plants at this stage.

Well ok but my 200lt sump tank uses about 2kg of gas every 12-14 weeks so you are going to need a bigger cylinder than a standard FE for 500lt!
If you are going to stay low tech then I doubt if your tank will work very well with such a high gas off & high lighting?
I may be wrong as I am not a low tech fan but, my understanding is a low light, low surface movement is the way to achieve success?
Most sump users use needle wheel pumps to get the co2 diffused & dissolved into the tank, just remember every drop of flowing water that is exposed to air will effectively gas off the precious C02 that you plants require to flourish.
I would aim for a 5kg or bigger cylinder, slow down the return rate to the sump, avoid any splashing by submerging pipe returns, install a NW pump & raise up the lighting....

Plant wise got some windelov and needle fern added, the floaters are growing like mad, just noticed a couple of baby molly's hiding in the Taiwan moss.

The mrs has chosen x3 male guppies and x4 orange Lyretail mollies bloody things.

Fish stock is now,

x3 otto
x3 male guppies
x4 mollies
x9 hengali's
x8 neons

and has to be the slowest growing giant vallis I have even had, the taiwan moss is slowly out growing the rust algae that has formed on it, think I will trim of the top layer with the algae on or may just leave the mollies and otto's to eat it lol

foxfish said:
Well ok but my 200lt sump tank uses about 2kg of gas every 12-14 weeks so you are going to need a bigger cylinder than a standard FE for 500lt!
If you are going to stay low tech then I doubt if your tank will work very well with such a high gas off & high lighting?
I may be wrong as I am not a low tech fan but, my understanding is a low light, low surface movement is the way to achieve success?
Most sump users use needle wheel pumps to get the co2 diffused & dissolved into the tank, just remember every drop of flowing water that is exposed to air will effectively gas off the precious C02 that you plants require to flourish.
I would aim for a 5kg or bigger cylinder, slow down the return rate to the sump, avoid any splashing by submerging pipe returns, install a NW pump & raise up the lighting....

The mrs has claimed this as her tank now and wants it full of guppies and platies! that will not happen but she will have a few, sort of lost heart with it as that si what she wants and not a planted heaven like I wanted so now my main focus in on the shrimp tank and other 2ft I have sitting here. Also keeping my eyes open on Ebay for another 4 or 6ft tank to be my jungle lol

Re: The green green grass my first try ( for sale/swap )

SELLING THE WHOLE SET UP, I AM AFTER A 4X18X18ISH OPEN TOP SYSTEM

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN BUYING OR SWAPPING LET ME KNOW AND I WILL POST FULL DETAILS OF EQUIPMENT ETC ALTHOUGH MOST IS LISTED ON PAGE 1 OTHER THAN THE PUMPS WHICH ARE NEWJET AND THE AUTO TOP UP TANK SIZE WHICH I WILL MEASURE TOMORROW.

WITH WORK NOW LOOKING UBA BUSY FOR THE NEXT YEAR AND THE NEW BIKE TAKING ALL MY SPARE TIME THIS IS TO BIG SO WANT TO DOWN GRADE TO SOMETHING THE MRS CAN MANAGE.

Back