• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

To trickle or not to trickle

rudirudi

Hi
I will be setting up a 48"x24"x24" planted tank in the near future,my initial idea was to have a trickle filter and a largish canister filter,I have read about trickle filters and CO2 not really being condusive to maintaining good CO2 levels.I will be having two weirs fitted in the tank,originally I was going to have both going to the trickle filter,one coming through a spreader plate and the other directly into the sump,comtrolled by taps.Now,if the concensus is not to use a trickle filter,I would use two cannisters,could these be connected to the bulkheads at the bottom of the weirs,these would probably be 32mm,I would have to reduce these to whatever the size of the pipes are at the top of the cannisters,any input on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rudi

Yes, trickle filters are great, just add more gas...
You will only need one corner overflow & go for 5 x tank volume through the filter.
Several of the world's best know plant growers use trickle filters, just don't think like a marine tank with 30 x flow over the filter.

Thanks for that,will be going with a trickle filter.it will be a diy one,will be getting some glass prices and make it from scratch.

Cheers

Rudi

Back