• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's Mini M

What about Boraras brigittae or Aplocheilichthys normanii. Just some suggestions to make it even harder to choose. :lol:

Re: Re: Tom's Mini M

Tom said:
Ooh, very nice George. I've heard the name but never actually seen any about. Did you get yours at Crowland?
The Waterzoo, but they're available at MA @ Crowland too. If you do choose these then probably best to phone ahead, just in case.

Crowland usually has a great choice of nano fish actually. Be sure to give me a shout if you're in the area.

JEK said:
What about Boraras brigittae or Aplocheilichthys normanii. Just some suggestions to make it even harder to choose. :lol:

I have kept brigittae before in the 25 liter - very nice fish, but kept jumping. Those little killies would also be nice. Not something I've tried before.

George Farmer said:
The Waterzoo, but they're available at MA @ Crowland too. If you do choose these then probably best to phone ahead, just in case.

Crowland usually has a great choice of nano fish actually. Be sure to give me a shout if you're in the area.

Yeah I do like Crowland, always very good variety. I've had several nice Malawis from there recently. Got some lovely dark yellow's from there over Christmas but I could never remember the name of them. They're not labs.

Will let ya know when I'm up that way. We sometimes go through there on the way to see family in Grimsby

Re: Re: Tom's Mini M

I added a few small stems of R. rotundifolia in at the back yesterday. Yet another Pets at Home Tropica impulse buy! It might come out again when I fill the tank if it doesn't look right.

IMG_8911.jpg

As far as an Emergent setup goes, this is just pukka! :D

However, when you flood it, do think a lot of the hard work will be lost?

I mean, rotala, will have to go through the usual change, thus putting you back to square one almost; Along with other plants

Re: Re: Tom's Mini M - Do I fill it?

I think you've got a good point, and the stems in particular will be a case of trim and re-plant if I use them. Now would probably be a good time to fill it I think, but that means taking down the 10 liter - or at least switching to Excel only....

Do I fill it today? I'm too nervous of it going wrong!!

Tom said:
Do I fill it? I'm too nervous of it going wrong!!

I think you've got a massive head start over the conventional way.

Am i right in saying, that bacteria colonisation has already started in a dry start method tank?

Tom said:
Do I fill it? I'm too nervous of it going wrong!!

I think you've got a massive head start over the conventional way.

Am i right in saying, that bacteria colonisation has already started in a dry start method tank?

Re: Re: Tom's Mini M - Filled

Looks uber smart mate. Shame about the pipes but I know your looking for a spring washer :).... I hope haha
Did you make the light fixture urself? Little bit of bending and it would look the part. Overall the scape and planting is on point.

The glass is so damn clear!! I remember when my ada ferts where full ..... Good times haha. Do they have an expiry date?

Re: Tom's Mini M - Filled

Looks really nice, Tom. A lovely little addition to anyone's living space.

The central wood stump is bugging me but I guess you have plans and won't notice after lots of plant growth.

All the best with the transition - I realise it's a big moment for you filling it up.

Will you be using CO2?

nayr88 said:
Looks uber smart mate. Shame about the pipes but I know your looking for a spring washer :).... I hope haha
Did you make the light fixture urself? Little bit of bending and it would look the part. Overall the scape and planting is on point.

The glass is so damn clear!! I remember when my ada ferts where full ..... Good times haha. Do they have an expiry date?

Yeah the pipes will get cleaned at some point :p I've just lifted them off the 10 liter and plonked them back on this one. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the light fixture is the bare bones of what was going to be a Solar Mini DIY build - I just couldn't find anyone local to cut me the metal for the base or light 'shade'. So it's just a block of wood, chrome arm and T8 reflector at the moment.

I don't know about an expiry - it's all in Japanese!!

George Farmer said:
Looks really nice, Tom. A lovely little addition to anyone's living space.

The central wood stump is bugging me but I guess you have plans and won't notice after lots of plant growth.

All the best with the transition - I realise it's a big moment for you filling it up.

Will you be using CO2?

Thanks George. Yeah the stump is annoying me, but hopefully with some growth behind it it won't be so bad. There's moss all up the back of it and along the stump too which I hope to keep propagating and allow it to hide it a bit.

Yeah I'm using CO2. I've just put the 10 liter's setup straight on this, atomizer, pipes and all. Just under 2bps at the moment, but I'm tempted to raise it even further for the time being. I'm scared of algae now, after the last couple of experiences!!

I've just taken a shot with a studio flash - not sure if it's going to work though, I'm still trying to work out how to link from Flickr
5461140247_395be3a2e4_z.jpg
IMG_89731

EDIT: Ahhh, that's much better than Photobucket!

Looks great, Tom! I wish I didn't sold my Mini M, it's a nice little tank.
The dirty pipes provides an interesting effect. :lol:
There's bark on some of the wood right? I'm just thinking on whether it will start to degrade when it's underwater..?
Looking forward to follow this one, good luck!

Really like this tank. Just went through the whole journal. Somehow missed it before :oops:
Very interesting to see another dry start. I am trying one as well at the moment with hc and lilaeopsis only. Not using fertile soil though. Have mixed results so far, hc would die back in some areas but others grow well. Should make a journal soon as well.

Like the composition and the use of native hardscape materials. What sort of wood is it btw?
Will follow that now to see the transition.
Good luck. :thumbup:

JEK said:
Looks great, Tom! I wish I didn't sold my Mini M, it's a nice little tank.
The dirty pipes provides an interesting effect. :lol:
There's bark on some of the wood right? I'm just thinking on whether it will start to degrade when it's underwater..?
Looking forward to follow this one, good luck!

Yes the dirty pipes are obviously intentional to provide a contrast to the as-yet algae free tank of day one!! :lol:
I have used the wood before over quite a long period, so hopefully there won't be any problems. There are some patches of bark though, I hadn't thought about that. :?

Piece-of-fish said:
Really like this tank. Just went through the whole journal. Somehow missed it before :oops:
Very interesting to see another dry start. I am trying one as well at the moment with hc and lilaeopsis only. Not using fertile soil though. Have mixed results so far, hc would die back in some areas but others grow well. Should make a journal soon as well.

Like the composition and the use of native hardscape materials. What sort of wood is it btw?
Will follow that now to see the transition.
Good luck. :thumbup:

Would be good to see how your dry start is going!
I'm not sure what wood it is, sorry - I got it from my local shop years ago. I didn't collect it like the rocks I'm afraid.
Cheers, I'm gonna need a bit of luck I think!! :thumbup:

very nice photo mate,

superb tank buddy, just realised 12pages and its only relly started haha :)

Oh yeh plenty of planning and deciding, makes for a much better journal seeing it all come together.

And it has come together nicely... :)

Back