• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's Mini M

No improvement in diatoms yet (decided that's what the main brown-ness is now rather than deficiency), so out of interest I decided to get the test kit out. I preach inaccuracy as much as anyone else, but I'm sure they're good for a rough indication.

Indicated no NH3 to speak of, but a reasonable amount of N02 which was interesting. If that's true, maybe the algae will start to hang back a bit soon. I then decided to have a look at the filter, which was considerably dirtier than this time last week so it got a thorough clean out along with the pipes. Then a 50% wc. Stems are beginning to show new leaves now after last week's trim.

Tank is now fully EI, and I've trimmed all the tenellus back to the base. I made a right mess of it and uprooted stuff, so had to do a 70% water change afterwards and gave it the first dose of NPK. Micros will be in the form of TPN, and will be dosed tomorrow. Then the following day I will do another water change followed by NPK.

I got my 1-2-grow E. parvula too, and it is brilliant stuff. I don't know why all plants aren't grown like that! So easy to use and good portions.

Wait I thought TPN was just micro and TPN+ was just macro's or was it the other way round?

As far as I know, TPN+ is TPN plus Macros.

Quick shot from this morning with the tenellus trimmed. I just hope it grows back! The stems are just starting to grow back in from their hacking. It's quite hard to find an angle to shoot from that doesn't look terrible!!

IMG_1667.jpg

hey Tom,

despite all the trouble, I think you a fine little tank and it does look very nice

GM

Johno2090 said:
Wait I thought TPN was just micro and TPN+ was just macro's or was it the other way round?
TPN+ is TPN with added sources of nitrogen and phosphorous. TPN+ is a comprehensive all-in-one fertiliser.

Apart from the added N and P, they are almost identical.

Both also contain K and Mg macronutrients.

Some like to dose TPN and TPN+ alternately. I don't understand the science behind it, but the results can be better than dosing TPN+ alone.

If you are really interested then you may get an explanation from Troels Andersen at Tropica, by emailing him. tra@tropica.dk

Thanks - I'm thinking about using a lot of Crypts in the next layout, so I'm not sure yet how that will go with this formation. It is a fair way off yet anyway, so things will probably change before then. It's not as flat as it looks in that photo, and plants (moss, pinnatifida) can be planted in and around in gaps. There could be 2-5" at the back as well for Crypts and stems. I want it to be more simple than the current layout too, and easier to maintain.

I've decided to put the frosted perspex over the top of the tank to diffuse the light slightly. I don't have the option of lowering the wattage, so hopefully this will allow me to finally get rid of the rest of the algae issues. I noticed a new bit of Spiro/Rhizo in the HC earlier.

nice mate, i like the sand, but a few more smaller bits of rocks infront of the main ones would add some depth for sure looks abit flat and wall like, just my opinion though.

fair play, i still think itll look abit like a wall of rock, but its your call and considering past tanks im sure yourll proove me wrong haha are you going have any moss patches on the rock? i like the look when you done that before

have you givern this current scape a time line?

The plants I'm planning would almost engulf the rock, and the taller pieces would stick through the top so it won't look flat. Crypts would wrap round and over, and the moss would highlight the depth of the rocks.

There's no time line on this scape. I want to run it till it's done or dead end. At the moment it could still work, it's just a case of finally getting rid of the algae. I'm gonna move the tank next time so it gets no natural light at all, lower the lighting, no dry start, and dose EI from day one.

Back