• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Torn between HOB and small external

Monkfish

I have a 30cm cube to setup for a Betta and can’t decide on which filter to use.

I have an Aquaclear 20 HOB from a Fluval edge and an Eden 501 external. I know the benefits of the external with more media and sponges but wonder if it will be overkill for a 22l tank. I have taps I can put on the pipes to control the flow of the Eden if needed.

I have an Aquaclear 20 HOB from a Fluval edge and an Eden 501 external. I know the benefits of the external with more media and sponges but wonder if it will be overkill for a 22l tank. I have taps I can put on the pipes to control the flow of the Eden if needed.
Hello @Monkfish,

If it were me, I would use the external filter and baffle the output. I would also replace the ceramics with foam or K1 to maximise the bio-filtration. (Assume you will have plants as well).

Bettas are meant to be able to cope with poor water and aeration conditions, but you should ignore that "fact" and provide the best water possible for them. I would also let the filter mature for some time so you get a good build-up of the good stuff - preferably using some media from a well-established and mature tank.

I would also steer clear of single-colour bettas as they are more likely to get the incurable graphite disease.

Thank you for the reply.

I already have the Betta as I was given it last week as a last minute sort of rescue. I’ll go for the external as advised, when you say replace the foam do you mean don’t use any foams at all?

This is the filter:

7cb4ba8863a8a0515963b0782d1626b8.jpg

I was planning to have one section all full of Seachem matrix and then the other section part matrix and part different sized foams.

It’s a pinky white colour so might be classed as single colour?

64d871aceac1376c7abaad628e7f206c.jpg

I have a 30cm cube to setup for a Betta and can’t decide on which filter to use.

For me that would come down to convenience, ease of maintenance and room around the tank etc. The Aquaclear 20 can be adjusted if I'm not mistaken... so limiting the flow wont be a problem if it turns out to be excessive.
Since you don't have any substrate (judging from the picture) but some plants I would just make sure you got mostly "bio media" in the filter (any media really, but matrix and foam is a fine choice). Personally, I would go with the HOB, but either way will work of course.

Cheers,
Michael

Oh sorry. There will be substrate and a fair amount of plants (ideally heavily planted by the time it is finished) in the tank eventually, I am getting them together the scape this weekend.

Good points about maintenance ease. All things to consider. Thanks.

Thank you for the advice. I went to set up the Aquaclear and it didn’t work in the end haha. Popped out and bought a Superfish 50 HOB, super quiet until I put the lid on and it rattles haha.

Also need to work out a baffle for it to stop the water going straight down. Not a fan of the plastic bottle method so open to anything else people have tried. Was hoping there’d be 3d print models out there I could print but there isn’t anything for the Superfish.

Back