• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transitioning Aquarium Plants from Emersed to Submersed (Immersed)

MrBlobby

Does anyone have any good general tips on tansitioning ? I seem to be having some issues with my ludwigia palustris red

Putting the plants that were grown out of water in a shaded area can sometimes help them transition to life under water and then move them to a brighter spot once you have enough new growth to cut and replant them. Alternatively you could float the stems on the surface for several days to sort of prepare them before being fully submersed.

As mentioned above it takes time to adjust and adapt to reduced co2 levels.

Thank you for the advice ... I am running co2 and good light and just don't seem to be getting any new growth on these stems .... I am really new to this and seem to be having decent success with my setup in general but just this one plant seems to be struggling for some reason

Did you get it as a potted plant in rockwool, or as an in vitro cup? In my experience the rockwool pots transition much better than the in vitro cups. Here's a link to a time-lapse of Ludwigia palustris mini 'Super Red' from a rockwool pot transitioning: Ludwigia palustris - Fireplace aquarium there is clear evidence of transitioned leaves on top after 6 days in a CO2-injected aquarium and it's all good thereafter. I subsequently tried this again with the same plant a few years later except starting from an in vitro cup in the exact same aquarium and had no success at all.

Thank you for that link... now seeing that though I was mistaken on what plant I am having problems with 😢🙄 gets a bit confusing and I'm not so good at Identifying yet ... the plant I'm having issues with is L Repens... wich I'm pretty sure all the helpful info would be just the same for I believe they have similar care level.. my LP has done well... oh and I got them as potted in RW

Ludwigia repens rubin is also a forgiving plant so treat it in the same manner.
Another option that wasn't mentioned in earlier posts is to leave the plant in its pot and dump it in the tank, this gives a two fold advantage. A) the pant is higher up in the water column, so more available co2. And B) it's root structure doesn't get damaged whilst transitioning.

When new submersed growth appears, cut and re plant.

Probably to late for you to do this, but thought I'd post it here for others.

Thank you again ... yes it is a bit late for a few of my plants but I will for sure take all of these steps that everyone has suggested... really makes it a lot easier to comprehend knowledge when it comes directly from others with experience than trying to wrap my head around all the things you can find trying to research it yourself online ... my one last question would be that some of the plants that have successfully transitioned for me and have been trimmed and replanted still have some old emersed growth at the base... should I remove those?

Well in the case of Crypts as example
often those melted leafs don't tell the whole story as the plant is growing roots ,in fact aquascaper juris jutjajevs cuts all leafs of crypts to just above substrate level on planting. I now drop potted plants in and leave for a while in the pots gradually removing emmersed leafs

Well in the case of Crypts as example
often those melted leafs don't tell the whole story as the plant is growing roots ,in fact aquascaper juris jutjajevs cuts all leafs of crypts to just above substrate level on planting. I now drop potted plants in and leave for a while in the pots gradually removing emmersed leafs
I'm a big fan of Jurijs' technique for crypts and did a comparison of his "cut off all the emersed leaves" approach vs "leave the emersed leaves on" with Cryptocoryne lutea 'hobbit': Faster cryptocoryne adaptation - Fireplace aquarium There was much faster and more vigorous adaptation to submersed growth using Jurijs' method (). NOTE: do NOT try this with in vitro grown crypt tissue culture cups, it only works with rockwool pots - Jurijs mentions this in the comments but not in actual video.

I decide to go ahead and remove the stems from my tank .. they were driving me crazy... when I pulled them from the substrate it was almost as I had just planted them.. there was no rooting at all they pulled right out ... inspecting the plant they had tiny tiny new growth leaves but for being in the tank for so long and all other plants around them doing well I feel that they were just (I don't even know) not good... I have floated them in another tank now hoping something will happen.. if not I will plant them in one of my terrariums and see if they Enjoy life on land better

Hi all,
if not I will plant them in one of my terrariums and see if they Enjoy life on land better
Unfortunately I'm <"pretty sure"> that they will enjoy <"terrestrial life a lot more">.

I have a <"real problem"> with the commercial producers of "Aquarium" plants. They are looking for plants <"that can survive under water"> (at least in the short term) and fit into their <"emersed production methods">.

What they aren't looking to produce commercially are plants that are obligate aquatics (and really are suited to life submerged), because they need to be cultivated in water and that isn't <"cost effective">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back