• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transparent Tank - the end

LED thinking

Have been wondering whether the Grobeam 500 12W does produce enough light for my 70L tank, as my plants just aren't pearling. After quite a lot of research, uncovered this very detailed American review of LEDs compared to other lighting options.

Scroll about half way down for the detailed LED section. The upshot is that "a high PAR/PUR LED from the most exclusive/best emitter bins can only need 4% of the wattage as a household T12 to produce the same results [or] ... about 17% for better aquarium T8 or T12 lamps" and that "It is still easy to make assumptions from the raw data based on this study with plants that a 12 Watt LED can at least replace a 100 watt MH of equal Kelvin ratings"

Here's the test result comparing Metal Halide and LEDs:

ledmhcomparison2.jpg

The helpful American chap says that when "the outdated 'watts per gallon rule' for planted/reef aquariums (@ 4 watts per gallon) is applied to a TMC GroBeam (as an example)" that for "a high light planted freshwater aquarium .6 to maybe .8 watts per gallon are required."

Translating this into British English :silent:, means that 0.16 - 0.21 LED W are needed per litre. So my 72L tank (for example) requires 11.5W to 15.2W. So I'm pretty much ok with just the one 12W Grobeam, but could push it to 2 for a serious light overload... :clap:

So I think the explanation for the non-pearling has to be CO2 related - given that the HC pearled as soon as it went in but hasn't since - and I've definitely got enough ferts in there!

Re: The Transparent Tank Challenge

I have no experience with LEDs but know that TGM is not stocking them as they aren't able to get the same results from them as they can from other "traditional" lighting systems. I don't think you need to get your plants pearling for them to grow healthily, you can see very nice growth without it. So I would say, as I'm sure others would, that adding extra light just to get the pearling will lead to more harm than good...

You're on a better track with thinking more/better Co2 distribution. How are you dosing your ferts atm?

The Transparent Tank Challenge

Tgm's standpoint has been questioned by many in regards to led's. The tests and people using them on ukaps speaks for themselves, very very good results.

I'd advise against getting another strip unless your seeing deficiencies brought about via lack of light. The fact your gloss is growing horizontally and not up is a good sign that your lighting is fine. Add more light and your algae issues will sky rocket!

Bobtastic said:
How are you dosing your ferts atm?

Thanks to suggestions from ukaps members earlier in this journal (actually Johno2090 and BigMatt), am using the AquariumPlantFoodUK all in one solution which you just mix up. (They're a sponsor). Seems to be working fine.

Here's the Practical Fishkeeping review.

Johno2090 said:
I'd advise against getting another strip unless your seeing deficiencies brought about via lack of light.

Thanks - agree with you. (Thanks also for putting me onto Grobeams in the first place... am now a fully signed up LED convert)

mikeappleby said:
Bobtastic said:
How are you dosing your ferts atm?

Thanks to suggestions from ukaps members earlier in this journal (actually Johno2090 and BigMatt), am using the AquariumPlantFoodUK all in one solution which you just mix up. (They're a sponsor). Seems to be working fine.

Here's the Practical Fishkeeping review.

You seem to have all bases covered! Make sure that your Co2 and ferts are getting throughout, then sit back and watch it all grow!

DIY lily pipe for £3

Why pay fifty quid for a lily pipe when you can make your own? Or so I thought 8)

First up, some clear plastic acrylic tube from an online shop:

IMG_1262.jpg

Then set up the painstripping gun so it points upward, melt the end of the tube, and seal one end with pliers.

IMG_1264.jpg

Rotate a 2 inch section of the plastic tube over the heat gun until it gets soft, evenly. You can see it slightly bend under its own weight. Then the magic bit: blow into one end and create a 'bowl':

IMG_1235.jpg

Takes quite a few goes to get right. Also, you're looking for a slightly uneven, drooping bowl, not a perfectly round one. I did about three that 'popped' because I'd heated the tube unevenly or blew too hard:

IMG_1267.jpg

But eventually I got one that looked about right, sawed through it with a hacksaw:

IMG_1237.jpg

Bending the rest of the pipe is pretty straightforward - just heat a 2 inch section, bend it gently with your fingers (I tried filling it with salt etc but found easier to just do it slowly and carefully), and then 'set' it in a bowl of cold water. [EDIT JAN 2012 - I'd now use a pipe bending spring for this!] Scraped it along some fine sandpaper to get a good finish at the right angle, and bingo, you have a whole load of custom lily pipes:

IMG_1308.jpg

Works great in the tank, and even creates a 'vortex':

IMG_1310.jpg

Just be careful with that heat gun! :clap:

CO2 mist realisation

I've been using this inline diffuser for a while now:

00up_dm-co2-big.jpg

With this bubble counter:

00up_108-1-big.jpg

..but have been really surprised by the bubble rate I've had to use (too many to count each second) for the drop checker to go green, let alone lime green. Have checked the pressure in the CO2 line (40 PSI) which should be fine. Looking at other people's tanks, especially Andy's journal helpful video:

It seems to me that there should be a lot of mist coming out. I can't see any. So I removed the cheap non-return valve from my CO2 line I bought from ebay (the bubble counter has a safety valve in it):

photo%203.jpg

Seems like there definitely were leaks - suddenly saw a whole load of misting:

My drop checker has zoomed to lime green:

photo%201.jpg

And I had to turn down the CO2 to about a bubble a second to stop fish gasping. Wish I'd done that before, but am now hoping for a rapid improvement in plant growth... the HC is growing a bit, the glosso is creeping along, the pogostemon has developed lots of holes (CO2 related I suspect). Only the Limnophila aromatica I put in last week is doing really well. But it's green at the top, rather than red, which is I think a sign of too much nitrate in the tank.

photo%202.jpg

Seems as if I really am making all the mistakes possible! Still, hope it helps others to have them recorded in some detail :wave:. Let me know if you've had any of the same issues, know how too make the Limnophila go red, or are finding this useful!

Re: DIY lily pipe for £3

mikeappleby said:
Why pay fifty quid for a lily pipe when you can make your own? Or so I thought 8)

First up, some clear plastic acrylic tube from an online shop:

Just be careful with that heat gun! :clap:

Great article mate.. really good.

I am going to get a heat gun today! :)

If you're wanting to make your own Lily Pipes or Spray bars check out this thread.

I've made my own spray bar so far and I'm planning to make my own inlet when I get the time to experiment.

When you're blowing the acrylic think of the technique for blowing glass, as I believe it is a similar thing.

Thanks to the OP and everyone posting links! This is certainly something I will do once I've sorted out a cheap external. I was looking at the cheap glass pipes on eBay, but this will save me some cash!

I love a bit of DIY ;)

Make sure that if you are using the salt method of bending that you use a nice solid bung securely wedged in and that you spend a fair amount of time "tapping" the salt so that it gets as compacted as possible. I found on my first attempt that the initial bend gave the salt extra room to move, which meant the tube flatten and narrowed.

I've not tired the Lily Pipe construction (as I don't want to use them :p)... But looking at videos of glass blowing (probably on YouTube) should give you an idea of what you need to do.

Also, I used my Black&Decker WorkMate to secure the hotair gun (pointing straight up) which meant that I have both hands free for the making, I also wore thick gardening gloves to protect my hands from the heat.

Decent camera

Here's my first attempt with a borrowed camera. Much better than previous, but what should I do to improve the image? (Here's a link to higher res 2.8mb version)

60D.jpg

Here are the settings:

60D%20settings.jpg

I've started a discussion in the Photography section to try to get some more advice... Please do comment if you can help! (Here's the comparison shot with my actual camera - a panasonic lumix)

IMG_1124.jpg

EOS part 2

Thanks to helpful suggestions, here's a shot with a longer lens:

IMG_5888.png

(Higher res version available here)

With these settings:

eos%20settings%202.jpg

Anything else I need to do? Not quite so happy about the background sharpening up - doesn't look as natural...! But the shot quality is definitely better.

Now can anyone help me with the holes in the leaves on the Althenanthera, or why the Limnophila isn't reddening up at the top?

Re: The Transparent Tank Challenge - new decent photos!

Nice and clear water :) Will be interesting to see this develop and how the viewing is once the plants have grown in. Interesting concept that few have the opportunity to do :)

Andy

Re: The Transparent Tank Challenge - new decent photos!

photos are looking good, im struggling with my shots as well but yours seem much sharper and more natural looking. I say good effort:)

Pretty happy with this shot

So here's the shot I'm happy with in terms of image quality:

2011-07-08%20at%2007-38-43%20%281%29.jpg

Really don't want to give the camera back :(. Here's the high res version - has really pretty amazing quality.

Camera settings are:

happy%20with%20these%20settings.jpg

Realised I needed to do spot metering, due to the bright background, and then it all sorted itself out

Time to start saving... But hopefully the plants will be fully grown by the time I can get hold of a proper camera.

Last post for a while as going to be really busy for a while - next one will be of a much more grown-in set up. The red plants on the left will be moved over to the right, once I've proved I can grow them, and the 'carpet' will spread into where they currently are, so it has more balance, and a triangular shape.

Feel like I've learned a lot over the past month or so though. Really recommend keeping a journal to others, as it forces you to think things through properly, and writing it down helps you remember, and realise what you now know!

Back