• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tricolor - Pico Cube - 1-2 Grow

Gill

I Snapped up the chance to Buy another Pico from the auction. The guy that makes fish display pico tanks.
It is a perfect size for the kind of scape I am going to do. Wide base and Tall.
Have not decided whether or not to use HC or Moss for it yet. Will be Using Co2 for definite in a Pico Diffuser and DIY Bottle.
Lighting I will do heavily to get the best plant growth and a nice layer of algae for the shrimp.

Looking at the design for the hardscape, this might turn into one of my best Pico's to date.

I should be starting this over the next few days, as need to tweak the tank somewhat to remove excess silicone and his Border. And Of course get some fine sand and stones.

Re: The Shard - Pico Cube

Just popping out to collect all the bits and peices i need for this.

Not done much today, as the little one has been a terror all day with tantrums and screaming his lungs out.
Think i will have another go tommorrow.

Removed some of the excess Silicone, and cleaned up the edges.

Water Testing for leaks, and tommorrow start on the main structure of the hardscape

Water tested Fine, Now on to the Scaping.

Here is the pico tank. 0.69G
002.jpg

Pea Gravel to Support the Hardscape
005.jpg

And added support to stop it spreading out and flattening - A Nutella Jar Lid Cut out.
006.jpg

Shards
009.jpg

Planted, Only Using 2 plants - Moss and Hydrocoytle sp.japan
013.jpg

012.jpg

If I can find a better peice of rock, I will change the central Piece.
Not going to fill it yet, going to let the plants spread out to begin with.

This is going to spend its scapelife in the Lounge Window. Have kept tanks here in the past with good results.

I know It is not my best scaping, but as with every scape it is an evolution. I just have to remember that it has been done and not forgot about. The other Wood Iwagumi Bowl, I have is a bowl of Hair Algae now, as it has been forgotten about.

Plants are doing fine, no wilting so far.

very cute.

how long will you let the plants settle in before filling?

hinch said:
how are you filtering and heating such a small tank

Will be using a Pico External I made for this size Pico.
And Heating using the Hydor Credit card sized 7w Heater.

hijac said:
very cute.

how long will you let the plants settle in before filling?

Not sure might wait a month or more.

Since that Pic, Hydrocoytle has spread to the front pane of the tank. Not added any water to it since set up. Nice tight Lid has Helped loads with retaining Moisture. Java Moss is doing well, Not seen any noticeable growth but no worries.
Really Liking the slow start emersed method so far.
Contemplating planting a few sprigs of hairgrass along the back, to see what it looks like.

Apologies for the Dodgy Pix, Little one was pulling the Neck strap as i was trying to take them

You can see that the Hydrocoytle has spread slowly to the front pane, And I do think there is new growth on the Java moss this week.

004.jpg

005-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

010.jpg

I am Browsing Google images for a decent background to print out.

Filled this Today and added a Pair of Brown HF.
Re-Modded the Pico External from the Barren Scape, using a Downsizer. That way I could push fit Airline Tubing for the Outlet. Stripped off the Old Glue and Re-Glued it all back together (Hot Glue Gun). Added more Filter Media and trying out some old Socks as ran out of filter wool, for the final layer of the filter.
The Family Really Likes this and Guests that popped round all commented on it. :)
Still not found an Image to use as the background.
Not going to use any Lighting on this as gets enough natural daylight being on the windowsill.

Re: The Shard - Pico Cube - Filled

This Scape is Going to be Home to Rilli Shrimp + Micro Crabs that are coming next week.

Re: The Shard - Pico Cube - Filled

Little One kept saying there is no light on this one, so have added a cheapo desk lamp to it, so that he can turn it on when he wants to.

Back