• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trim plants at maintenance or different time

Deano3

Hi everyone just wondering if you trim plants ar regular maintenance or do you do maintenance then another night do plant trimming so sessions arnt to long ?

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Depends on the particular tank @Deano3 and what the goals are.

Usually try to anticipate the month ahead by breaking it up into four sessions and dedicating a job to do each week. In that sense, a trimming session is the focus of the maintenance that week, followed by a quick glass clean and water change. Other examples for the three weeks could include; removal of detritus, changing of the foreground sand, pipe and lily pipe cleaning etc.

Filter maintenance is treated as a separate job that is done when it is convenient so any particular maintenance session doesn’t go on too long.

Never have more than one hour to dedicate to a single setups maintenance so the above works under those time restrictions.

I like to keep tank maintenance to once a week so i never miss it. I do whatever is needed every sunday evening 2hours before lights off.

I usually clean filters etc on a week where i am not doing any trimming so i can perform what is needed within 2hours.

I would say naturally i do plan big trims, but recently i've been trying to concentrate on shape, so ive been doing little trims.

I trim the massive amounts of crypts every month to thin them out and stop them blocking light in some areas. I trim the h.pinnatifida every month too, only trim the big vertical stems and it seems to grow very quickly.

Small trim I do when ever, Trim something most weeks just before or during WC on 500l.
Trimming carpet is another ball game all together, take at least a couple of hours to trim and remove all the trimmings, then a couple of 50% WCs

Back