Trimming Cyperus Helferi

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by sanj, 30 Dec 2008.

1. sanj

sanj Member

hello,

I have masses of C Helferi, but alot of the leaves are covered in algae, like diatoms nothing thread like or fury. I was wondering whether i can trim them and how to? i dont want to cut the leaves and find i have killed the plant. does any one know if there is a particular method to this?

Ben C likes this.
  2. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

you should be able to follow the leaf to the base of the plant and trim it there. it shouldnt die though.

3. sanj

sanj Member

Thanks Saintly, is that how you have trimmed yours?

4. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

yes,i've not had a ton of experience with it. but when i see a leaf looking iffy i just cut it other wise it ends up as an algae magnet

5. Ray

Ray Member

I also do as per saintly - follow the leaf down and cut and inch or so from the base. The remains of the cut off leaf will die back, you can then pull the rotten leaf off the crown at the base if you pull it sharply sideways away from the base of plant (upwards may uproot the plant). You can also uproot the plant and remove several leaves oldest first, pealing them off the crown sideways, then replant. Be careful with the growing crown, I snapped one and lost the plant - it didn't regenerate.

6. Ben C

Ben C Member

Hi Sanj - long shot - do you still have masses of CH? If so, could I buy some from you? I'm looking for some submerged, rather than the shop bought emersed growth.
    Thanks