• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica Aquacare substrate with unipac sand? ok?

aibo82

Hi

I have been looking for substrate to restart my juwel rio 125 is UNIPAC Limpopo black sand ok to use to cap Tropica Aquacare substrate?

I like dark substrate black/grey and want to try sand this time but wanted to use the tropica stuff as the base!

Good choice?

I've used it a lot, personally i prefer their 2-3mm black gravel. Limpopo is very fine in comparison.

aibo82 said:
Hi

I have been looking for substrate to restart my juwel rio 125 is UNIPAC Limpopo black sand ok to use to cap Tropica Aquacare substrate?

I like dark substrate black/grey and want to try sand this time but wanted to use the tropica stuff as the base!

Good choice?

I have used it actually. a 2cm layer of Tropica Aquacare then topped up with another 2cm of dark substrate.

4989237781_dd705235de.jpg

There is only one thing for you to look out for, when you uproot plants you need to be careful, very muddy. Especially Amazon's, Cryptos or Lotus bulbs.

This is how your tank will look like when you uproot the plants, and the dirt will deposit on the leaves:
4774087084_1dda191fd1.jpg

My lfs has gone, and the other one doesn't stock any plain gravels, is it just AE who do the unipac stuff now? I dread to think the price of posting gravel.

Sorry to jump in, i also have this particular combination of substrate and sand but what would be the max depth of sand to grow Hemianthus callitrichoides and Eleocharis acicularis due to their shallow root structure? Is it also advisable to use liquid ferts in addition to the substrate? I have some jbl nano liquid fertiliser (1 drop to 5 litres according to the instructions), will this do?

Back