• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica Premium, Masterline Golden or APT Zero?

Thank you very much! I'm planning to use bottled distilled water to mix my AIO. My tank is on a 24/7 constant drip water change at roughly 10% daily. I think the attachment is my tap water quality report. Water from my tap is about 80-90 tds so at the lower end of the range.

Attachments

• SG-Drinking-Water-Quality.pdf
    137.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Does this look like a good set of targets for mixing my first batch of AIO?

image.png

Good morning,
Have you not added your water report parameters to the Core Settings along with ensuring the tag 'Planning to use RO Water' is set to 'No' under the 'Tank and Dosing tag, I know your water contains very little but it will give a more complete picture?
Cheers!

Hi all,
I think the attachment is my tap water quality report. Water from my tap is about 80-90 tds so at the lower end of the range.
That is very different from the water that most of us in the UK would get. No nitrate (NO3-) and very variable conductivity.

I'm guessing that it is mainly from desalination plants?

Cheers Darrel

Good morning,
Have you not added your water report parameters to the Core Settings along with ensuring the tag 'Planning to use RO Water' is set to 'No' under the 'Tank and Dosing tag, I know your water contains very little but it will give a more complete picture?
Cheers!

I've added it in, but my tap water contains quite negligible amounts of anything significant except perhaps moderate amounts of calcium.

Hi all,

That is very different from the water that most of us in the UK would get. No nitrate (NO3-) and very variable conductivity.

I'm guessing that it is mainly from desalination plants?

Cheers Darrel

It's mostly treated rainwater from reservoirs, but also contains 10% treated sewage waste water (sounds disgusting I know) bug it's supposed to be as pure as distilled water and safe to drink. We do have desalination plants here but I think they're mostly for industrial use.

I've tweaked my proposed recipe slightly to make it more lean. Does this look OK?

image (1).png

@bazz You mentioned that Calcium Nitrate is unsuitable for use in an AIO solution like I'm trying to create, could you elaborate on why this is so please? I thought it should be acceptable since it's included in the calculator?

If Calcium Nitrate is not suitable to be used, should I use Urea instead? As mentioned I use a dosing pump and I dose small amounts 5x a day so I won't be dumping a large amount of Urea into the tank at each dose. However given that I am using a dosing pump I mix up a large batch of AIO each time (about 2 months worth) and I've Urea read that may decompose into ammonia during storage in a non sterile environment (i.e. the dosing container) - is this going to be an issue?

You mentioned that Calcium Nitrate is unsuitable for use in an AIO solution like I'm trying to create, could you elaborate on why this is so please?
It's a chemical thing.
In lay man's terms calcium attracts sulphates, phosphates, carbonates. Etc. Eg mix calcium nitrate with magnesium sulfate and you'll end with calcium sulphate which is insoluble. Mix calcium nitrate with potassium phosphate and by the wonders of science you'll have a mix of calcium phosphate and potassium nitrate... the calcium phosphate isn't soluble in our realms.

No idea why this happens, but it does 😀

It's a chemical thing.
In lay man's terms calcium attracts sulphates, phosphates, carbonates. Etc. Eg mix calcium nitrate with magnesium sulfate and you'll end with calcium sulphate which is insoluble. Mix calcium nitrate with potassium phosphate and by the wonders of science you'll have a mix of calcium phosphate and potassium nitrate... the calcium phosphate isn't soluble in our realms.

No idea why this happens, but it does 😀

Ah OK thank you for the explanation! So can/should I use Urea instead in my AIO?

Yes you can use Urea instead, I add it in with the micro's solution.

I believe over a period of time once in solution the Urea will break down to NH4, but I don't know how long this process takes in the ferts bottle, either way you will still have a source of Nitrogen.

Thank you, here's my (hopefully) final AIO recipe, does it look alright?

image (2).png

I've ordered everything and should be ready to start mixing up my AIO in the next week or two (some items are coming from China). Is this the right order to be mixing stuff:
1. Prepare 4500ml of distilled water in a mixing pail with a small pump switched on for mixing
2. Add 2g Potassium Sorbate and allow to mix
3. Add 2.5g Vitamin C powder and allow to mix
4. Add all macros (order doesn't matter?) and allow to mix
5. add Rexolin APN and allow to mix
6. Once all mixed pour into dosing container
7. Top up distilled water to 5000ml total

Anyone? Does the order in which I mix the various chemicals matter?

Hi all,
Anyone? Does the order in which I mix the various chemicals matter?
Ideally you usually start with the least soluble salt first. You can get solubility values (at 20oC) from <"Wikipedia">. If you get a precipitate forming warming may help (but not if it is a carbonate compound) and the salt that <"precipitates out"> will be the least soluble salt.
Is this the right order to be mixing stuff:
That should be fine.

cheers Darrel

Back