• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica soil on top of sand

john6

I am in a position again to start looking after my tank again, I have about an inch of sand as a substrate, it hasn't been cleaned in about a year, I have some Tropica soil which was given to me which I would like to use as an inch of substrate isn't deep enough for certain plants I would like, can I just pour the soil on top of the sand or would it be better to empty the sand first and just go with the soil?

The Tropica soil will leach a lot of ammonia, so don't put it in the tank with your Discus in it.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the soil, and just add more pre-rinsed sand if you want to increase the substrate depth.

The Tropica soil will leach a lot of ammonia, so don't put it in the tank with your Discus in it.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the soil, and just add more pre-rinsed sand if you want to increase the substrate depth.
I didn't know it leaked ammonia, good job I asked the question, thanks.

Back