• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropical fish in low hardness ?

eminor

Hello, i manage amazonian tanks at my club, they used tap water (DKH: 11 dGH : 17) the fish live but there is some death that I suspect to be chlorine (they don't add anything for it, direct from the tap)

If some of you might've seen me in different topic i'm crazy about plant and i'm in charge of plants at the club, i have 6 tank to take care of, that way i will learn way quicker with multiple tanks. But let's get back to the subject, i want low KH for the plants but i don't want the fish to get ill, can i go 0 dKH, i do it at home but i don't have discus, angelfish... ? thx

Unless you know (testing) that you have no chlorine, you should always add a dechlorinator to tap water.

As to low KH and Amazonian fish, yes, that is their native environment. Most Amazon tributaries are soft water and low KH.

Now, 0 dKH? That’s giving you very little wiggle room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite a lot of Amazon fish have been tank bred for a while now and are much more tolerant of harder water, try researching ,although extremes should be avoided. Look to using a tap safe conditioner like Prime as said above ) for the aquariums

Thanks guy, i'll do 75 ro/25 to avoid 0dKH even if i use it in my aquarium though but i'm not certain that fish that i've never kept will be able to cope with such low KH. They've been long time in tap water, but i can't manage hard water with plants, even DTPA chelator will be out of the party with 8.3 pH, too far from the almost perfect 6.8

Back