• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trying to find a simple water pump for doing water changes

3lackMamba

Hey guys

Recently I've moved back to my parents and now water changes have become very awkward with where my tank is. In my old house the sink was right beside my tank basically and I had a tap adapter with a hose and it was very simple but now I'm having to use 25L jerry containers to lug water around the house. I'm trying to find a simple water pump that has an in and out hose attachment but all I can seem to find are water pumps with a big bulky unit with only one outlet like the Eheim CompactON, which would be great for draining my tank but I would not be able to submerse that into my 25L container for refilling as it wouldn't fit through the lid. All I need is something like this but an electric version, so I'm not having to use a drill to pump the water. Maybe I'm being silly because I thought something like this would be very easy to find but I genuinely can't find one.

Thanks

Im not sure this is useful but I personally use a Sicce Syncra Silent (I think its the 2.0, memory is a bit fuzzy).
Didnt set out to get specifically this one, I just trundled into my local fish shop, said I had x amount of money for a water changing pump and they recommended this one.
The preview pictures can be a bit misleading, it also comes with some alternate parts so that you can have hose connections on both input and output.
Keep lifting height in mind, it will need to fit your specific situation.
Ive been very happy with it so far, it does a good job.
I was told it can be ran out of water with hose connections on both sides, however it should never be allowed to run dry, so would need to be prefilled with water if so.

The hygger submersible bottom entry pumps look good to me, the biggest pain i have with pumping water is the pump running dry, and having to empty the last bit in the bucket.

Obviously i haven't used it, i've only used generic chinese pump heads, also i think hygger is owned by the same chinese company as nicrew.

Last edited:
What you need, is a new way to transport your water. You need to change your 25L container for refilling with another, having a bigger lid, or even better, buy a long hose to do the water changes straight from the tap.

Thanks for the input guys, I’ll look into everything yous recommended and hopefully come up with a solution.

What you need, is a new way to transport your water. You need to change your 25L container for refilling with another, having a bigger lid, or even better, buy a long hose to do the water changes straight from the tap.
I used a tap-clamp-hose-adapter type thing in my previous house for water changes and it worked a treat but in my parents house all their taps are a fancy shape or have a bend to them that makes it impossible for this thing to stay on securely. I might have to just cut a big hole in this 25L container if I can’t find the pump I’m looking for.

Thanks for the input guys, I’ll look into everything yous recommended and hopefully come up with a solution.

I used a tap-clamp-hose-adapter type thing in my previous house for water changes and it worked a treat but in my parents house all their taps are a fancy shape or have a bend to them that makes it impossible for this thing to stay on securely. I might have to just cut a big hole in this 25L container if I can’t find the pump I’m looking for.
Have you checked your folks taps to see if any of them have a screw out piece in the end of the tap? (a filter or defuser).
You can buy a screw in fitting that you can then just attach a standard ‘click-on’ hose attachment to. Not sure if ur folks would be happy about this of course. I’ve just fitted one of these and it’s working a treat.
1637533361963.jpeg

i use a new garden hose and a cheap pump off eBay, put that in your sink (in a container is best so you don't get soak residue) and run that to the tank? id say mine is about 10 meters long and no issues...

Darn, these things are hard to find! I'm in exactly the same situation (said for the moving back to the rents part), and that Aquael Unipump is the only pump I've seen that fits the bill. And there was me hoping to only pay a few quids :arghh:.

Hey guys

Recently I've moved back to my parents and now water changes have become very awkward with where my tank is. In my old house the sink was right beside my tank basically and I had a tap adapter with a hose and it was very simple but now I'm having to use 25L jerry containers to lug water around the house. I'm trying to find a simple water pump that has an in and out hose attachment but all I can seem to find are water pumps with a big bulky unit with only one outlet like the Eheim CompactON, which would be great for draining my tank but I would not be able to submerse that into my 25L container for refilling as it wouldn't fit through the lid. All I need is something like this but an electric version, so I'm not having to use a drill to pump the water. Maybe I'm being silly because I thought something like this would be very easy to find but I genuinely can't find one.

Thanks
Hi i use a eheim. When refilling my tank i put a bucket in the sink leaving the waste outlet clear run water into the bucket containing pump and hey ho job sorted

Back