• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tunze Power Magnets

A

Antipofish

Does my brain deceive me or did I read somewhere that algae magnets scratch the glass, despite manufacturers claims ? Or is it only if you get a bit of sand or gravel in them ?

I am thinking of buying ONE OF THESE

But don't want to waste my money if it is likely to ruin my tank.

If you don't advocate them, what are the alternatives ?

Maybe if too large of a one for the thickness of your glass, the magnet will be too powerful and end up scratching the glass. I use one in my 30L - and I never go near the substrate with it, just in case. I use a toothbrush for the glass near the substrate. Also a great snail killer :D

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Maybe if too large of a one for the thickness of your glass, the magnet will be too powerful and end up scratching the glass. I use one in my 30L - and I never go near the substrate with it, just in case. I use a toothbrush for the glass near the substrate. Also a great snail killer :D

OK Cheers

i use one of theese, basically a big razor blade. works great especially on gsa

aqua-t-handy-2.jpg

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
m_att does the large scraper you have not rust easily ? :?

no its stainless, I've always put it away wet and its over a year old, starting to go a bit blunt now so may get a new blade :)

Thats good then, a lot of "stainless" nowadays is crap. Rusts if you leave it anywhere damp or don't wipe it dry.

ianho said:
an old one of these is even cheaper

credit_card.jpg

do you advocate alternatives to the algae magnet then Ian ? Should i not bother buying one ? I have a cheap 4.99 one from P@H but my glass is 8mm and the thing has not power to it, keeps falling apart. When I had cat litter it was a nightmare !

it is so powerful that small piece of sand or something sharp and your optiwhite get nice scratch :) since then I am not using it anymore.

Back