• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Two Feet of Joy

I found a lot of conflicting advice regarding diatoms. So I decided to carry on doing what I've been doing.

I did another 50% water change, cleaned off the rocks, glass and leaves as best as I could and then cracked on with my potassium nitrate, epsom salts and profito. I'll add the potassium phosphate tomorrow.

I seem to have stopped the leak from the filter, which is a result. Plants seem to be doing OK, I hope the diatoms don't harm them too much. IMG_20181119_202706.jpg IMG_20181119_202715.jpg

Still deep into diatoms. They are now on the glass as well as the plants. Cleaned them off as best as I can and have kept on doing twice weekly water changes.

There are some positive developments with the plants; the ludwigia has some new growth and the java fern is throwing out little clones like crazy. The amazon sword seems to have settled in OK so far. The wisteria has also emerged at the top of the tank.

Hope the diatoms don't stick around too long.

Hi , when I had goldies in a tank I never got rid of diatoms. Unfortunately they will soon outgrow the tank, I am sure you know that, and unless moved to a larger tank they will not grow properly.

Your best bet is to rehome them in a pond and get some proper aquarium nano fish.

Hi all,
Else where the bacopa caroliniana and the rotala seem to be going white at the tips. I've read that this can be due to low iron, but I'm dosing profito
That definitely looks like an iron deficiency. It is only really iron (Fe) and manganese (Mn) deficiencies that cause chlorosis in new leaves.

I'm not sure what form the iron in the Profito is (ferrous gluconate?), but it looks to have gone out of solution and become unavailable to the plant. It may have combined with PO4--- ions to form insoluble iron phosphate complexes.

I'd try a different iron source, I use FeEDTA and that should be all right in your rain water. It will take a while for the plants to improve (they need to grow new leaves), but you may <"see a spurt of green algal growth">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the help. I was hoping that I had avoided the iron problems. Profito has both iron and manganese in it. The rain water should have a pH of no more than 7 and I only dose phosphate on different days to prevent any complexes forming. In addition I added a load of red clay balls to the substrate to provide ion exchange sites and provide iron.

Clearly this wasn't enough. I shall find a source of FeEDTA or a superior chelate. Didn't want to turn my tank pink which apparently can happen with Fe Hedta.

Hi , when I had goldies in a tank I never got rid of diatoms. Unfortunately they will soon outgrow the tank, I am sure you know that, and unless moved to a larger tank they will not grow properly.

Your best bet is to rehome them in a pond and get some proper aquarium nano fish.

The plan is to move them out to the pond come spring but I wanted the pond to mature and thought that kicking them out in winter was harsh.

Hi all,
The rain water should have a pH of no more than 7 and I only dose phosphate on different days to prevent any complexes forming
It will be interesting to see what happens, I wouldn't expect to see iron deficiency, but I can't see what else it can be.

I use a floating plant for the <"Duckweed Index"> to exclude CO2 as an option, but other that that you have potassium (K), nitrogen (N) and magnesium (Mg) covered. Nitrogen, potassium and magnesium are all deficiencies that cause chlorosis, but they really effect older leaves because these elements are mobile within the plant.

I live in an area where the water is pretty hard, and even our rain-water has some carbonate buffering, so the pH is ~pH8.

I don't measure the alkalinity of the water, but if the conductivity in the tanks falls below about 80microS I add some tap water (about 17dKH/dGH).

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, really appreciate your input. I've read a lot of your posts and you clearly know your onions. The reason I have been using rainwater and took out the floss from the filter was due to your posts elsewhere.

I can get some Fe DPTA from Solufeed, so I'll give that a try.

I've been meaning to use the Duckweed index. For floaters I currently have Salvinia. I can't seem to source amazon frogbit locally so I might have to use flea Bay.

Still dealing with the diatoms. I just keep cleaning the tank and cracking on. I've kept everything the same; lights, ferts etc.

I was tempted to up the light but I read a post by @ceg4048 and decided to keep it low. I've also kept dosing phosphate despite videos advising the use of phosguard to remove it when dealing with diatoms. The matrix is not going to get me.

I hope this works. There are new shoots on most of the plants. Most of the diatoms are on the old emersed growth leaves, so they can be trimmed.

Might get a nerite to start cleaning the tank up.

IMG_20181203_185559.jpg

Been a while since the last update. December was crazy buzy but I kept up the tank routine.

The goldfish are doing my head in. If they are not eating a plant then they somehow manage to uproot or destroy them. The most annoying trick is to pay no attention to a plant then suddenly completely destroy it over night. I had a nice rock covered in java moss and it was looking good. Then the goldies took a shine to it and ripped it to shreds.

Still getting diatoms but seems less than a few weeks ago and mostly on rocks and glass not so bad on the plants. I managed to kill 4 nerite snails. The first three went in the tank in one go and never moved until I took them out a week later, stinking to hell. I gave it a couple more weeks added another, seemed to be OK was tearing around the tank for two days then went stationery too. I'm not happy, I hate hurting things. What was weird was that my 'pest' snails are fine.

I gave the tank a clean and upped the lights, mainly due to the non existent growth of usual fast growers like wisteria and rotala. I'll see how it goes, can always drop it back down.

Changed the internal to an Aquael Turbo 500, great Christmas present. The circulation is much better and the venturi has filled my tank with loads of tiny bubbles, which has got to help the auto trophic bacteria. I'm going to get the spray bar attachment for it and go with a ceg4048 set up.

IMG_20190106_170704.jpg

Happy New Year to you all.

Sorry to hear about the snails, sounds like they may have already been in trouble before you added them :(

Happy new year also :)

Diane, do it. You won't regret it. Just do your research and work out what you want (hight/low tech, plants, fish etc). It doesn't have to cost the earth.

I'm currently toying with the idea of a Dennerle nano cube for the bedroom. A quality little tank in sizes 10l to 60l.im thinking low tech and put some cherry shrimp and snails in there.

Once I get the goldfish out into the pond, this tank will get neon tetras and hopefully some better plants.

I'd also recommend an emersed setup. I bought a small covered planter for about £7. Put some take away food trays in there of compost and I'm growing rotala, ludwigia, bacopa and lilaeopsis in there. I just leave it on top of the fridge under a sky light. No power and no maintenance really. Plants still grow.

I'm just trying to find a floating plant the goldfish won't eat.

It's such a great hobby and this site is an awesome resource.

After some research and input from the great people here, I decided to have a major rescape of the tank. I think that the blasting sand, which I thought looked good, was causing heavy metal poisoning of the snails.

The blasting sand is a by product from the copper industry and could very well contain traces of metals like copper and zinc. Put that in a tank with rainwater and some peat and the metals can leach out. I should have twigged at the start when the vallis and anacharis melted. These plants typically live in harder waters where metals are less available Therefore they have less defences against high levels of metals.

I put the melt down to easy carbo but I had been using that in the bowl where both plants were going great. The plant that grew best was Rotala, which tend to grow in more acidic waters and have a better tolerance of high levels of metals.

Anyway I decided my tank of mining slag had to go.

I started with the clay balls again. Most of the roots from the plants had wound their way down and through the clay. So this was a no brainer.
IMG_20190114_223623.jpg
I covered this with around 1" of Westland Aquatic compost as used by Tim Harrison. This I found to be very gritty compared to the aquatic compost I used previously. This was great as I could scoop it straight in without sifting out twigs etc.
IMG_20190114_224847.jpg
On top of this I put around an inch of play sand. It was cheap and available and if kids play with it, then I doubt it is loaded with copper.

I cropped my java fern of pups and glued these to the rock.

IMG_20190114_232135.jpg

When all finished it looked like this:
IMG_20190115_012709.jpg

Just have to go through the whole cycling process again now.

Thanks for the help dw1305 and everyone else who has read and commented on my progress. Hopefully this time I'll get my jungle tank.

So after two weeks I'm happy with how the tank is coming along. Everything seems to be OK. The crypts are getting their new leaves. The dwarf sag is still doing nothing. It's not dying but there seems to be no new growth. The rotala seems to be taking off finally as does the wisteria. I got fed up with the wisteria and bought some water sprite to show it how a real fast plant grows. I think the competition has spurred it into life.

Some other good news. One of the vallis stumps that I had given up for dead has sprung back into life with two new leaves. Also a snail that I thought was dead was tonight out and about. The others still seem dead, though there was no foul smell in the shells.

Unfortunately my much loved Cat sadly passed away. I thought she had a hairball but when we got to the vets it turned out to be fluid on the lungs probably from lymphoma.

IMG_20190128_212236.jpg
Full tank shot. It is a bit stirred up as I had just filled it back up.

IMG_20190128_212311.jpg
A lovely moss courtesy of @dw1305.

IMG_20190128_212337.jpg
S. Repens has some nice new growth.
IMG_20190128_212354.jpg
E. Reni still hasn't taken off but there is new growth.
IMG_20190128_212411.jpg
Rotala doing well and even going a bit pink at the tops.
IMG_20190128_212430.jpg
Some Limnobium courtesy of @dw1305 plus some water sprite.

The survival of the snail makes me think I was correct to change out the blasting grit. Hopefully I can get some more snails and get back to where I want the tank to be.

Just a short update. No major news since last time. I added a black back drop which I think really makes the colour pop. The most noticeable effect is when the light is off. So much darker even though its only the back drop.

Few more signs of diatoms. Mainly on the glass, so easy to clean. I'm looking to add to my snail population after the recovery of super snail.

I also corralled the Limnobium at the end away from the filter. This photo was taken just before that.

IMG_20190131_180907.jpg
The goldies kindly ripped the emersed growth leaves off of the wisteria, so now I have a stalk in the middle of the tank. There are new leaves on the anubia and Limnobium.

The biggest change this week was the addition of two nerite snails. Unlike the previous times they have taken off straight away and pretty much cleaned the entire glass of diatoms over night.

IMG_20190206_170314.jpg

Other changes include the arrival of the spray bar for the Aquael 500. Really impressed with this filter. I now have a nice gentle flow across the tank from back to front along most of the width.
IMG_20190208_111254.jpg
I've also added the Tropica basic Co2 setup as a bit of a test. Too early to tell yet as I only set that up yesterday. I will continue with the easycarbo so that I am only changing one thing.

Plants seem to have turned a corner. Most seem greener than before and are showing new growth. The rotala seems to have bushed out in a week. There are new leaves on both anubias. The moss is turning a lovely green and the wisteria is finally starting to look like it should. On top the frogbit has some new leaves and has put down some lovely long roots as have the floating water sprite. Even the dwarf sag has sent out a couple of new runners.

Looking forward to this tank taking off.

Back