• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Two Rocks Balanced - 64L - Low tech

More baby shrimp pictures. Just me playing with my camera -without a decent macro lens-
on manual focus.

16674095865_3c1150e3d1_z.jpg

16673081772_256b834f38_z.jpg

This was pretty cool. Photo taken from 'under the water level'. Shrimp was 'walking on water' upside down.
The real shrimp is the one upside down, and the reflection is right side up.
16486528628_553af2955a_z.jpg

16674625725_4ec0e2cfe8.jpg

Tank is looking awesome!

I too thought that was a massive snail (shell) ...
- need to retitle this

Snail Rock Balanced

I cannot believe one of the neon horde has not snapped up that wee shrimp!
They must be docile compared to their wild brethren :D
I counted 5 wee shrimp during the evening and they do a good job of hanging on the Ceratopteris. The one in the Eleocharis is a loner, while the other 4 were hanging out on the plants.
The neon horde is pretty well fed though.

Yes that's the pic mate. I will keep an eye on this too. :) i think what you have done is working well. Once it's all weather aged it will be even better.

Tank is looking awesome!
I too thought that was a massive snail (shell) ...
- need to retitle this
Snail Rock Balanced

Well that would start a new trend... after all the fancy rocks and fancy woods, aquascapers would start hunting for massive snail shells.
snail_sieze_wide-fd01c6ec523a99d43f1b87b57bf276d851ef9147-s40-c85-630x353.jpg

I did Tanganyikans when my tap was hard & alkaline, snail shells are much sought after (with attention to size, shape & channel dimensions/curves)

Sorry to drag thus snail thing on. Arnt they having major problems somewhere in the USA because of African land snail? People kept them as pets and they are now everywhere. No I'm not on about spongebobs Gary.:)

Day 28
Water change with the assistance of 3 kids. Fun saturday morning.
I cut back some of the plants that had BBA. I am considering getting a siamese algea eater. Outflow is getting dirty, but did not have time for it before breakfast. The green filter tubes seem to have a lot of tiny algea spots on the inside. Is this common?

16739116051_bd23dd6865_c.jpg

Algae or grunge/slime ;) (in the filter tubing)

For BBA, Amano shrimp or long nose shrimp - I'd not add SAE in a small tank (unless you can buy tiny guys & return to the lfs: warning they can be a bit tricky to catch) as they mature to 14 - 15 cm, further they are quite social so should be kept in groups.
(of course shrimp also do best in groups as well)

Algae or grunge/slime ;) (in the filter tubing)

For BBA, Amano shrimp or long nose shrimp - I'd not add SAE in a small tank (unless you can buy tiny guys & return to the lfs: warning they can be a bit tricky to catch) as they mature to 14 - 15 cm, further they are quite social so should be kept in groups.
(of course shrimp also do best in groups as well)
Alto, I do have 10 amanos. I guess they have too much cleaning to do.
Adding the inline filter was good to keep temp at 24C, and keep equipment out of tank, but my motivation to keep tubing clean is at rock bottom.

Just a plain mid-week photo update. What you may be able to spot, is that I trimmed the Hygrophila polysperma rosanervig in the back, and started to replant the cuttings to make the back/left a bit more dense. The nice red ludwigia palustris has reached the water level. I am considering some method of putting O2 into the tank at night, because some mornings the fish are gasping, but not at the top surface. Probably I will get an air pump to run a few hours during the night.

16795147511_c51f04f879_c.jpg

for comparison, this is what it looked like on Feb 18, when I added the 'red' plants
16567930925_612dda0592_z.jpg

Day 36:

Additions this weekend:

Eleocharis parvula - to fill in some gaps on left
Echinodorus tenellus - also on the left
Staurogyne repens - on the left side of the wood, at the base
Blyxa japonica - to the right of the wood and behind the rocks

Other tending:
- Cut back the ludwigia palustris to make it a bit bushier
- Cleaned tubing and filter pad

Also baught an air pump - and plan to pump in some air bubbles for app. 3 hours at night, so the plants can take up some O2 and also to stop the fish from gasping. Hopefully the air tube will eventually get hidden by the plants.

16633178578_510b65961b_c.jpg

16634530029_84a4e95485_c.jpg

Result:
16820637345_6936c31c6c_c.jpg

Last edited:
Day 49

Our beloved pakistani loach (Botia Almorhae) decided to look around in the world outside the aquarium, and jumped out one evening. We loved his quirky demeanour and will miss him.
16493703672_570373c608_n.jpg

We welcomed 2 new additions today:
Ram Cichlids: Mikrogeophagus ramirezi - 1 male, 1 female (pictured on left)
Ranunculus inundatus - planted on the right

Also massive filter cleaning (6 Red cherries saved), changed prefilter and fine filter pad, and rinsed the bio media. Water was near black. Also cleaned inflow glass, as it had BBA deposits.

16929428986_44303163c4_c.jpg

Tank is looking better every update!
The rams are a nice choice for this set up.

Commiserations on the silly loach foray into the greater universe.
Loaches are generally very social fishes so you if you decide to add more, look for a "dwarf" variety so you can do a group of 4-5

Are you still adding the liquid CO2 & running a single T5? fertilizers? same lighting schedule?

You can also raise the lily outflow after lights are out to increase night time oxygen levels.

Tank is looking better every update!
The rams are a nice choice for this set up.

Commiserations on the silly loach foray into the greater universe.
Loaches are generally very social fishes so you if you decide to add more, look for a "dwarf" variety so you can do a group of 4-5

Are you still adding the liquid CO2 & running a single T5? fertilizers? same lighting schedule?

You can also raise the lily outflow after lights are out to increase night time oxygen levels.

Hi alto,
Thank for stopping by.
Yep, Still running with same setup: every morning adding 1.5 ml of Easy Carbo, single Giesemann 1x24W, split lighting schedule - with 'siesta' 7:30am-10am then 3pm to 9pm.
Night time oxygen is raised with air pump running also with a 'siesta' from 10pm-midnight then again 4am-6:30am.
Adding fertilizers once a week, but there are also JBL fertilizer balls in the substrate.

I am really waiting for the background plants to get a bit denser.

Plants look very healthy & algae looks to be minimal, so really a nice low tech (slow growth ;)) set up.

If you feel you want to tinker, you might
1) add another dose of liquid CO2 at the start of the evening light cycle - calculate the maximum that you want to add to a tank of your size, then split this into the morning & afternoon doses
re if it does have a half-life of ~12 hours, then the amount of available "carbon" will already be significantly lower at the start of the second light cycle,
(I've never seen the research data on this so I've no idea how this time was calculated or what effects light, temperature & water chemistry may play - it seems to be bandied about the net as if it is FACT & not CONJECTURE ...)
- also is the "carbon" most available in the initial compounds added to the tank, or does the "carbon" actually become more available as those initial compounds interact/react with tank ecology ...

2) if you're at an excess of "carbon", consider adding slightly more light, eg, turn on that 2nd T5 for 1hour in the middle of your evening light cycle

3) change your weekly fertilizer dose into a daily or alternate- day dosing scheme
You can go back to the Tropica site & read what they recommend on their fertilizer system ... many of the videos seem to use daily or alternate-day dosing with the fertilizers rather than adding a single large weekly (water change day) dose.

When you trim the stem plants, are you seeing good growth from the trimmed base & the replanted top?

When doing these changes/any changes, be very conservative & wait couple of weeks for response ie don't actually increase your total amount of weekly fertilizer until you see a need (eg, pale leaves on new growth), if you add that extra T5 light for 1 hour & see not much happening after a few days, don't add another 30 or 60 min to that light effect, wait the couple of weeks, make sure that the minimal response you're seeing is not growth limitation due to insufficient "carbon" or other nutrients (usually it's CO2 that limits plant growth).

I think you've got a good creature population re CO2 production so I wouldn't add much in that area (if you only had 10 fish, I'd suggest increasing fish #'s as a potential CO2 source)

I find it notable that your fish were gasping when you're not adding CO2 gas to the tank nor is the tank "heavily" planted (there is loads of swimming room - I very much like this layout for the fish), this seems to be a function of the lily pipe system (I use those ugly green spray bars ;) as I already break enough wine glasses :oops:)

Back