• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UK lighting options

Sk3lly

Hello Guys I am a new member after discovering this forum today.

Been a member of another forum for about a year but its largely Americans. Im after input from Brits :)

Ive had a high tech setup for about a year now which has been my first ever tank. I dove in at the deep end.

In the early days i struggled to find real top notch high PAR LED light fixtures sold in England. I ended up shipping a BML XB over from the states at a large cost.

Just curious as to what you guys actually use?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah ok. After i got rid of my stock lighting i went with the tmc gro beam 600 i think it is. Must admit i wasnt much of a fan. Then again i was pretty new to it at that point and easily influenced by the American market

TMC twin 600 aquagrow. Works great :) that's on a 150lt cube approx 55cm

TMC twin 600 aquagrow. Works great :) that's on a 150lt cube approx 55cm
Ah i had one fixture on my 90litre 60cm wide tank. Maybe needed a second fixture to bump the light level up? Nevermind maybe i could put it into use again someday

I can't see why you wouldn't have success with this light. They a so bright, maybe in the corners you might struggle lol.

Yea i might have had success eventually. The BML is working out very nicely though

6300k. 110PAR at 18". Not sure how that compares to the aquagrow?

What problems were you having with the single TMC 600? Is a twin then 122 par? Would you just double it? Mine is fantastic so far. Plants are growing like crazy, fish look great too. Cool shimmer effect and the control box makes it awesome as I can dim the lights in and out making it all more natural.

What problems were you having with the single TMC 600? Is a twin then 122 par? Would you just double it? Mine is fantastic so far. Plants are growing like crazy, fish look great too. Cool shimmer effect and the control box makes it awesome as I can dim the lights in and out making it all more natural.
Not so much problems, but I didn't think I was getting good growth out of certain plants compared to people I spoke to on another forum.

I'm not sure how you'd calculate PAR with double fixtures tbh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So if you place this light over a filled aquarium, at 400mm above substrate, will this be 61par, more or less?
Yes I think that's what it means. But in their write up there is no mention of water! Now that reduces things but that would be silly of them or assumptions of us?

Yes I think that's what it means. But in their write up there is no mention of water! Now that reduces things but that would be silly of them or assumptions of us?
How did u setup your lights?

I have the PDF for the growbeam 600 here but can't find a way of getting on the forum! I have the twin pack connected to the dual controller. Lights on at 8am starting at 1% power fade in for 3 hours to 100% power. Then stay at full power until 5pm then fade out to 0 power in 3 hours. Looks great. Plants are loving it. No algae. I am using a lot of co2 as well. Comes on 2 hours before lights on and off at 5pm. Excellent growth except for my lilaeopsis brasiliansis which is on the bed. It is known as a slow grower also my corys hassle it a lot and even dig it up in places...

Thought maybe you meant the location. Luckily I have a large well vented hood so they just rest on the glass drip trays. Equally spaced across the top.

Last edited:
I have the PDF for the growbeam 600 here but can't find a way of getting on the forum! I have the twin pack connected to the dual controller. Lights on at 8am starting at 1% power fade in for 3 hours to 100% power. Then stay at full power until 5pm then fade out to 0 power in 3 hours. Looks great. Plants are loving it. No algae. I am using a lot of co2 as well. Comes on 2 hours before lights on and off at 5pm. Excellent growth except for my lilaeopsis brasiliansis which is on the bed. It is known as a slow grower also my corys hassle it a lot and even dig it up in places...

Thought maybe you meant the location. Luckily I have a large well vented hood so they just rest on the glass drip trays. Equally spaced across the top.
with a single growbeam i am at 100% and 45cm from the substrate. Also there is a lid with condensation on it. I am not sure if i should leave the loght there or lower it to 40cm from the substrate.

What plants are there? What par do they need? I'd go by watching the plants needs. If they have abundance of feed including co2 and are still not doing well then I'd look into lowering it.

Back