• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Understanding new ember tetras behavior

I notice mine are doing a lot of panting. Day 2 in the tank. Parameters are fine. Did a water change to bring the TDS down. Is this just anxiety? They are out swimming, have plenty floaters, and the habrosus are saying hello.

However relative to other species of fish though,
Sure there are quite some behaviour differences among different fish sp. and some are more active than others. I guess we just have a different interpretation of lazy... If compared with the Pygmaea Cory also featured in the video, now that's what I call a lazy fish. Wake up and search for some food then lay down and belly out for the rest of the day, then in the evening go stretch some fins for a minute then back to laying around doing nothing else but looking cute. Could it be they are named catfish because of that? As my cat does actually the exact same thing now you mention it...

Could be it's because people sometimes call me lazy, but I disagree, I'm just very good at intensively doing nothing but racking my brain don't need arms ad legs for that. :lol:

Do you have floating plants in your tank?

Hi @JacksonL Yes, I have an abundance of floating plants in the tank that hosts the Embers. Frogbit, Pennyworth and duckweed.

I have noticed when I am floating stems, or after a carpet trim but before I have skimmed the trimmings, that my embers spend more time in the upper water column. I am thinking of putting in some red root floaters as they definitely seem happier with even a small amount of surface cover.

I think most small fishes like to be under a canopy of (floating) plants.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back