• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Unusual Cory deaths: hari kari by sponge filter

AlecF

Just a leftfield sharing that I've lost 2 corys in recent weeks who got stuck in the air pipe element of sponge filters, hidden at the back of my tank. A year ago I also rescued one that I saw in time. When they do their Cory dance up and down arcing and surfing they seem to end up in there once in a blue moon. I can't be the only person with such dim corys? Maybe it's because I have the air running quite low and the bubbles aren't coming out in a thick enough stream to warn them off. I've added some sponge in there today so they can't fit in. I remember when they were juvies they loved to swim up a glass feeding pipe I had and everyone knows a Cory loves a gap to squeeze through. Anyway, I know it's an unusual post, but maybe it's worth mentioning. I've never heard of anyone else netting or blocking off their air filter.

Sorry to hear that, not good.

Struggling to see how that happened, do all sponge filters have a gap or something? Excuse my ignorance, I thought they had foam around the bottom etc so can't see how a fish gets stuck. What am I missing?

I've had this with pygmy corys I was quarantining a few years ago.
The first was a small air powered filter with a kind of cartridge clipped into it having a channel at the back for the air to come up. I found one of the little corys wedged down the bottom of the channel, unfortunately very dead.
So I swapped it for the round sponge type with a central air lift. Yet again a cory, nose down in the airlift tube. Fortunately I had dipped a jug of tank water & when I shook out the 'corpse', it promptly did a dozen laps of the jug & scared the life out of me!
I ended up wedging a tiny piece of filter foam in the top of the airlift until I was able to set up their permanent home, without an air powered filter.
Whether it's the air bubbles or lower water flow that attracts them I don't know.

Sorry to hear that, not good.

Struggling to see how that happened, do all sponge filters have a gap or something? Excuse my ignorance, I thought they had foam around the bottom etc so can't see how a fish gets stuck. What am I missing?

They came in through the top.

The simple solution is to increase the flow rate of air. Just my opinion but a properly flowing sponge filter should blow any fish that tries to go into it straight upwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In terms of flow the tank is low, and in the room I work in, so if I have it high it's too noisy. The sponge will work.

I suppose to us its a sponge filter to a cory it's a cave a safe place to retreat to, l agree that higher flow may be the answer. I remember being in a shop once,they had a multiple airline system of filters and a couple of flying foxs got trapped, could be more of a curiosity thing with them rather than likely for a Cory a safe haven

I came to a similar conclusion to @PARAGUAY.
The corys didn't pay much attention to the filter during the day but I think at night when they couldn't see as well & went by feel they thought it was a tunnel leading to a cave. Unfortunately when they reached the end & found it wasn't there was no room to turn round.
I still feel responsible though. 😞

Hi Folks
Sad to hear about those deaths!
Sponge insert isn't really the answer as it will clog up eventually.
I know there is some members have 3D printing, maybe they could print a cover to fit over the outlet pipe, you would need to ask in the Wanted Forum!
hoggie

Back