• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UP Atomizers blocking.

superpuma

Hi

New to this game so there's always questions to be asked.

l have an UP Atomizer fitted in the return line from the pump in my filtration sump. Have noticed of late that the return flow into the tank is decreasing,l reckon the UP is getting blocked.

ls there a cleaing procedure for these things? l've ordered another to have installed whilst one is at the cleaners....

Ta

Mike

l have an ex saltwater tank, it's an elos120, l'm using the sump that was standard equip for the tank. The UP Atomizer is in the return line from my return pump that sits in the sump, the water flow from the return line of the pump is slowly decreasing, as if the UP is blocking. ls that better foxfish? Sorry for any confusion. Are the UPs known to block? l can see that they'll reduce the flowrate of a pump.

Mike

OK well I have two things to tell you :)
One, the water travels straight through the middle of the UP & the only thing that can block is the Co2 that travels through the ceramic stone, the stone is just like a Hula Hoop the water goes through the middle & the gas is forced through from the outside of the hoop & into the middle.
Two, if you have a sump you dont need an UP in line atomiser anyway! Just use a cheap ceramic stone in front of the pump or even just stick the C02 line in front of the pump without any stone!!
You could just disconnect your present UP & stick that in front of the pump but I prefer to use low pressure devices for my tank.

Thanks for that, tomorrow is tank maintenance day, l'll give it a go.

Mike

Thanks Again.

In the past you've recommended me to use a needle wheel pump as a return. Are you saying my eheim 3000 with it's standard impeller will do the job?

ln the past you've recommended an eheim needle wheel pump, see my attatchment, far cheaper and the Atman pumps are actually reliable and quiet http://www.fish-street.com/atman_ph2500 ... ory_id=140

mike

Yeah needle wheel pumps are very good too although you need quite a powerful model to compensate for the less efficient (at pumping water volume) nature of the impeller.
I must say that I now think a high pressure atomiser in front of a conventional pump seems to be a reasonable alternative to a NW pump but with a NW you have no maintenance at all, with an atomiser you do have to adjust the device & ultimately replace it every year or whatever.
I am now running a cheap diffuser in front of my pump, I find this a good compromise, you do get a slightly larger bubble but it is a very simple method that also gives an uninterrupted flow from the pump without any restriction.

l've ordered an atomizer. l'm curious as to how the bubbles will behave when l place the atomiser in front of the pump. Will the pump gobble them all up or will some make it to the surface? Time will tell....
Thanks
Mike

Back