• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UP Inline Diffuser query?

Hi Bertie, sorry about the issues your having. As a first port of call id remove the co2 line from the atomiser and do a dip test in a small cup of water to ensure your co2 is making it to the diffuser. If it is then its likely to be a fault or pressure issue with the diffuser. As others have suggested if the co2 is getting to the diffuser you can then test the diffuser in a water dip to see if its working or not but it should be obvious especially given your current bubble rate. I'm presuming the diffuser is on the filter outlet so no chance the mist is diffusing fully before entering the tank?
Cheerio
Afy

Hi All,
dave, no nothing came out at all.
Andy,I tried dipping in water and nothing came outl I have just had an e-mail from the guy I bought it off and he said sometimes it needs to be run at full pressure to get it going and then reduce pressure. He did say I could return it or swap for a bazooka with check valve?
I have just had medication so will have to go to sleep very soon so will try a test on full power tomorrow!

OK. If you want to try my used spare UP I'm happy to post it to you?
Thanks for your kind offer dave....I will try it on the tank in the morning again, and if on Sunday I have to turn it full up for initial start I may well take up your offer.
I just do not want to start every morning with the needle valve full on and then re adjust as I can see that causing algae problems.
I will let you know how I get on.
Once again thanks.

Hi all,
I thought that I had posted but appears not. I have got it working:) I did what the chap said...I started with the needle valve nearly fully open and dropped it into a jug and hey presto it started working! I managed to turn it down to 1bps and it was still working.
I will re-connect to the filter tomorrow and see how it goes. I just hope that I do not have to turn the needle valve fully on every morning to start it up else that may cause algae problems.

Well I had to open up the needle valve to a very high rate to get it started....then dropped down to 4bps for the last 2 1/2 hrs and DC still blue and could not really see any bubbles...I have now increased the bps to 6 and can see very,very fine mist that is hardly visible, I will leave it for a couple of hours and see how the DC looks then.

Really cannot see any real "fizz" in the water so I am still doubtful as to whether this is working or not.

DC is still blue! I do not know whether my regulator or needle valve might be faulty! I have increased bps so that I cannot count them properly and this is only a Rio 180 Tank!
I have noticed 2 things...firstly the output pressure gauge seems to be "pulsating" and when I turn the needle valve the bps reacts "opposite" to what I would expect for eg: if I turn it up then the bps may decrease. This is starting to send me loopy!! I am now at a complete loss as what to do as I don't want to gas my fish and I have noticed that the dreaded BBA seems to be appearing again!

Bert there is something awry here!...... If you are counting 6bps, the gas mush be going somewhere!
At that rate you would be looking a class of alka seltzer!
When you dipped the device in the water, was it fizzing like crazy? did you notice any gas escaping in big bubbles?

When I dipped it...it was really fizzing away but out of one end of the atomizer there were "big" bubbles...I can see some fizz in the water now but at a guess I would say my bps is at least 8 bps at that rate I would get through a 2kg FE in no time!
I am also concerned about my fish!

Although I did not find any leaks on my co2 connections I think when the co2 switches off I will attach the tubing to the check valves with a little bit of superglue.

I also think, because of the "pulsating" working pressure gauge,which increases/decreases the bps with the "pulse", the regulator is like me...b*****ed;) So some how I will have to (or the wife will) find the funds to get another one...I was thinking of a UP twin guage adjustable one from one of our sponsors/advertisers. Unless anyone has other suggestions for regulator/solonoid?

hi dave approx 36 to 40 psi or just over that at least the dc is going green now! :confused:

To be honest Bert I'd stick with it for a few days and see if it settles down. I wouldn't rush into getting another reg just yet.

Ok dave thanks....the dc is now green..only 1 hour before the co2 goes off....I just seem to think that 8bps or more is a bit much for my Rio 180? willl give it a few days to see how it goes...will order a new FE this week just in case! ;)

One advantage of the tiny bubbles is that I can see that the bubbles/flow is getting everywhere.:)

have you checked the connection between the regulator and the FE?
If the gauges on the FE are fluctuating then you may have a leak between the two?
Use a spray bottle and some fairy liquid and spray it around the connection or any where else it may be leaking a look out for tiny air bubbles.

have you checked the connection between the regulator and the FE?
If the gauges on the FE are fluctuating then you may have a leak between the two?
Use a spray bottle and some fairy liquid and spray it around the connection or any where else it may be leaking a look out for tiny air bubbles.

Hi discusdan thanks...have checked, but will re-check just in case I have missed one. I have green/blue on lights on now, but if I try and adjust upwards, the needle valve decides to slow the bps down rather than up then I have to mess around again...I will leave the needle valve alone today and have a go again tomorrow.

I have the same reg, the gauges are a bit hit and miss really. I don't bother looking at them much.

on mine the needle valve is very sensitive. It only needs to be open a fraction of a turn.

Clockwise on the needle valve to close it (less bps)
anti clockwise to open it (more bps)

check the solenoid is fully screwed down as well and check around the connection for leaks.

If you're getting bubbles are the bubble check but nothings getting through to the atomizer it could be either a duff atomizer or a leak between the two.
leak in the connector or split in the hose?

also check your bubble counter for leaks.

Also have you set up your drop checker correctly? 4dKH solution and bromo blue?

A picture of your set up might throw some more light on the situation.

I've seen your other thread about a new reg, I'd make 100% sure your current reg is faulty before getting a new one. There not cheap bits of kit and no point spending money if you dont need to.

Hi disusdan thanks.....yes the needle valve is a bit iffy...when I try and open it up...turning clockwise it quite often wants to slow the bubble rate down...so have left as is for now...the atomiser is working but seems to need a lot of bps....have checked for leaks and have found none...hose is ok it is good quality co2 tubing...bubble counter is intact without leaks...using AE ready mixed bromo for DC and has been ok Thanks for your help.

If its the same as mine turning the needle valve clockwise will close it? which would explain why the bubble rate goes down?

anti clockwise will open it up and let more co2 through.

the bubble rate might go up when the reg first turns on untill the atomizer is up to pressure. With out moving the needle valve does the bps go down a few minutes after the reg has turned on?

Back