• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Use of Activated Carbon, Purigen, etc.

Hanuman

A better way to regenerate Purigen is 1 per cent hydrogen peroxide. It's tested, cleaner than any chlorine-containing compounds.
Never tried H2O2 to regenerate Purigen although I can see it working to some extent. However my concern with Hydrogen Peroxyde would be that it would possibly mechanically damage the beads and render them ineffective much faster than when using the proposed hypochlorite bleach.

I have some old Purigen that I don't use anymore since I don't have wood loaded tanks. I should try see how H2O2 regenerates the Purigen although it's impossible to know for sure how well it will be regenerated since no one other than Seachem knows exactly how purigen works (other than what they publicly state).

Are there any comparative articles on the net about these various types of Aquarium products. What they’re made of and how they work etc. I ask as I’ve read some hobbyists were switching products due to the cost?

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
it will be regenerated since no one other than Seachem knows exactly how purigen works (other than what they publicly state).
I'd guess that any strong oxidising agent would remove the colour from used "Purigen".

Although Seachem don't state how it works, their answer in @Craig Matthews <"Pink tint"> thread would strongly suggest that it is a purely physical process, based on molecule size.

screenshot_20190509-180818-png.png

cheers Darrel

Hanuman

Hi all,

I'd guess that any strong oxidising agent would remove the colour from used "Purigen".

Although Seachem don't state how it works, their answer in @Craig Matthews <"Pink tint"> thread would strongly suggest that it is a purely physical process, based on molecule size.
cheers Darrel
And there is this from their Knowledge Base section. I mean they don't have any vested interest in any regenerating product so why would they explicitly reject Hydrogen Peroxide as an alternative?
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 17.12.53.jpg

Last edited:

_Maq_

Well, when I attempted using H2O2 I went into unexplored territory. My thought went in the way that 'why should I use potentially dangerous chlorine-containing oxidizer instead of residue-free hydrogen peroxide?' As for Seachem, they're businessmen, and not particularly honest, in my eyes. So, if they argue against H2O2, I hardly care.
Anyway, I'm using diluted H2O2 for several years already, regenerated my sacks of Purigen many times, and they still apparently work as new. I didn't perform any scientific analysis, though.
One more thing: It often takes several days until Purigen gets white again. Maybe bleach works faster, I don't know.

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
Anyway, I'm using diluted H2O2 for several years already, regenerated my sacks of Purigen many times, and they still apparently work as new.
I mean they don't have any vested interest in any regenerating product so why would they explicitly reject Hydrogen Peroxide as an alternative?
I don't think they do explicitly reject using H2O2, I actually think we might be back with Seachem and their <"very careful use of wording">.
We can only be certain that hypochlorite bleach will be both effective at regenerating the Purigen and removable by Prime.
The emphatic "No" is what you see, but it is qualified by "........ we can only be certain", and that is their get-out clause.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

Hanuman

Well, when I attempted using H2O2 I went into unexplored territory. My thought went in the way that 'why should I use potentially dangerous chlorine-containing oxidizer instead of residue-free hydrogen peroxide?' As for Seachem, they're businessmen, and not particularly honest, in my eyes. So, if they argue against H2O2, I hardly care.
Anyway, I'm using diluted H2O2 for several years already, regenerated my sacks of Purigen many times, and they still apparently work as new. I didn't perform any scientific analysis, though.
One more thing: It often takes several days until Purigen gets white again. Maybe bleach works faster, I don't know.
And you never see any broken beads or some dust after using H2O2?

_Maq_

And you never see any broken beads or some dust after using H2O2?
No. The bag remains full, and I've never noticed any pollution in the liquid in which I soak Purigen. If I had, I'd attribute it to the oxidized pollutants rather than to Purigen damage. Anyway, the water remains clear.

Have a wee look on my journal buddy. I brought a rather large bag home from work with me.
Is it this?

zozo

I have my doubt that Seachem produces the product called Purigen themselves... They most likely have a contract with the producer to sell under a so-called different brand/trade name.

Here is one of the leading companies trading in Filter resins and there are quite a few.
If you go by the colour Tan it could be this or that..?

Whatever it is, it obviously has its raw ingredients that could be this or that too for example a mineral bound with a resin and then heated to get a porous end product.
You could compare it with Alfagrog - Frit - Sintered glass or Porous glass all 4 about the same that is a powdered mineral (among other silica) backed at high temperature (below its melting point) called the Sol-Gel process which results in a porous glass pebble which is a perfect plant and filter media. Now when is a substance Gel and when is it Resin? Both could be the very same thing and in a sense, Alfagrog could be named a resin product too it's a matter of commercial interpretation. So what's in the name, pottery has different product names but al all comes down to a certain type of clay that becomes some different product, such as after a backing process White clay becomes Porcelain/China. And what is clay? To powder ground mineral mixed with water...

The same happens with Osmocote® fertilizer, which is the registered product name... But there are many other brands selling Osmocote® under their own name without the need of mentioning it's actually Osmocote. I have no idea what these legal contracts/licenses or business deals are called. But it happens all over the place.

I have my doubt that Seachem produces the product called Purigen themselves... They most likely have a contract with the producer to sell under a so-called different brand/trade name.
My bet would be on a company like this. Sadly they’re not likely to sell to the public.

I'm happy to put in a big order with our raw material supplier if people are wanting to save alot of money. At less than 13 pound for 5 litres...... No profit just donations. They manufacture this themselves.
It is not produced by a certain brand, they researched and found a product, tried it and gave it a fancy description. How they can say it can remove LARGE organic particles I don't know,especially given the bead size. It's not acrylic though.
The reason it gives a final polished look is it takes in the very minute organic particles that pass through floss carbon etc.
There are lots of other fairly similar looking products on the raw supply sites but the majority work slightly different and need salt solutions to restore it.

Is it this?
No that's a different product
Is it this?
No its not the polysorb or any of their stuff, but if you were to look at any of their products, the 'closest' to purigen abd it's properties would be the macronet resin mn200 mn202